Arsene Wenger admits interest in Monaco’s £100m man

Date published: Thursday 27th April 2017 8:51

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has admitted he is tracking £100million man Kylian Mbappe.

The Gunners chief, who has yet to reveal whether he is staying on at The Emirates, has said his is watching the Monaco man, but has admitted they may not be able to afford the forward.

“Of course [we’re targeting Mbappe],’ Wenger told SFR Sport. It would be hypocritical and a lie to say we’re not following him.

Manchester United and Chelsea are chasing the 18-year-old striker, who has scored 23 goals in 37 appearances for Monaco this season, while Real Madrid have reportedly made a bid for the player.

Monaco’s sporting director Antonio Cordon denied that claim last week, but he did say Mbappe had a buyout clause in his contract.

Speaking to Spanish radio station, Cadena Ser, Cordon said: “Have Real bid? The truth is they haven’t.

“I hope that Mbappe continues with us for a long time and gives us many great nights of football.

“He is a player that has had an important progression and has deserved it. He is going strong.

“Only time will tell. There are many factors to consider in order for a player to succeed.

“He has a clause and it’s quite a lot of money. I don’t know exactly how much, but it’s a lot.”

And only last week Monaco vice president Vadim Vasilyev said they had no need to sell their prized asset, who has two years left on his contract.

“We do not need to sell, the budget is balanced,’ he told Telefoot. “For the moment, not a single player has told me that they want to leave.

“We will discuss it all in a relaxed manner. But with the 2018 World Cup, not Thomas, not Kylian, nor maybe Bernardo want to leave.

“It is not the right time. We are going to do everything to keep them. I can already tell you that Monaco will have a very competitive next season.”

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM

Comments