Arsene Wenger makes shock Kylian Mbappe admission

Date published: Thursday 4th May 2017 1:11

Arsene Wenger has revealed he went to Kylian Mbappe’s house last year to try and persuade the forward to sign for Arsenal.

In his first season in professional football the 18-year-old striker has been sensational, scoring an incredible 24 goals in 38 matches for the Ligue 1 Monaco.

He has helped them to the top of Ligue 1 and into the semi-finals of the Champions League, but it could have been a different story has Wenger got his wish.

“The player would tell you that I was at his home last year to try to get him here,” Wenger told beIN Sports.

“Because he was at the end of [his] contract but Monaco managed to keep him and the decision was very, very tight.

“But I could understand it as well because he was educated there and at the end decided to stay there.”

Asked if Wenger could get him, he replied: “I don’t know that is down to him. But today he will decide where he goes, because he can say Real Madrid maybe, Barcelona maybe, Arsenal, Manchester…he can go where he wants.”

Pascal Boisseau, a French agent and reported representative of Mbappe, recently suggested that only a quartet of clubs could sign the player.

“There are only four clubs in the world that can afford him today: Barca [Barcelona], Real [Madrid], [Manchester] City and United,” he told L’Equipe.

He added: “Leaving this summer would be the worst thing that could happen to him. It’s not a good year.

“Today he is flying, there is not a young man of his level. But, even if he is less good next season, Monaco will have offers at €100m (£85m) also.”

Manchester United are reported to have had a £72million bid for Mbappe, who is under contract until June 2019, turned down.

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM

Comments