Aston Villa have won only one of their last seven Premier League home games against Southampton going into Saturday’s latest encounter at Villa Park.
Aston Villa will give fitness tests to Kieran Richardson and Ciaran Clark just prior to the game after the pair both picked up knocks.
Caretaker boss Eric Black claims Jores Okore is refusing to play for Villa, meaning he would be absent along with Jordan Amavi (knee), Libor Kozak (ankle) and Gabriel Agbonlahor, who has been suspended by the club.
Jose Fonte and Victor Wanyama have both been passed fit for Southampton after being taken to hospital following the 1-1 draw with Everton last weekend with head and rib injuries respectively.
Charlie Austin and Florin Gardos, however, remain on the sidelines for Saints with knee injuries.
- Aston Villa have won just one of their last seven Premier League matches against Southampton (W1 D3 L3).
- Last season, Sadio Mane scored the fastest hat-trick in Premier League history when they played against Aston Villa at St. Mary’s (2m 56s).
- Mane has scored three goals in his last four Premier League games for Southampton; this after a run of 19 PL appearances without scoring.
- There have been just seven goals scored in the last six Premier League meetings between Villa and Saints at Villa Park.
- Shane Long has scored five goals in his last six Premier League appearances against Aston Villa.
- In fact, Long has netted more goals (5) against Aston Villa than he has mustered against any other Premier League opponent.
- Aston Villa have won just two of their last 18 Premier League home games (W2 D4 L12) and have lost the last five in a row. They have never lost six consecutively at home in their history.
- In those last five matches at Villa Park, the already-relegated club have scored just two goals and conceded 17.
- Graziano Pellè has had a hand in seven goals in his last five Premier League appearances for Saints (four goals, three assists).
- Aston Villa have spent a league-low 184 minutes in the lead in Premier League matches this season.