Azpilicueta goes public over Barcelona interest

Date published: Wednesday 24th May 2017 9:24

Chelsea star Cesar Azpilicueta says reported interest from Barcelona is “very positive and flattering”.

The 27-year-old played in every minute of Chelsea’s Premier League title win and scored once, and claimed five assists, which has alerted the men from the Camp Nou.

Last summer the Daily Telegraph claimed Barcelona were tracking the defender to replace Dani Alves, but they never firmed up their interest.

Athletic Bilbao were also believed to be keen, while he was also linked with a move to Manchester United to follow Jose Mourinho, but the versatile defender has always claimed he is happy in the capital.

Azpilicueta, who signed a new three-and-a-half year contract in December to tie him to Chelsea until June 20202, is though still thought to be on Barca’s radar after a stellar season.

“It’s flattering that a club like Barcelona can be interested in you,” said Azpilicueta.

“Last year, after a bad season on a collective level, we did not have those types of rumours.

“However, this season we have been crowned champions and this type of story indicates that we have done well.

“Interest from teams of this level is very positive but I am very happy here. I feel very valued by the club and I do not think of anything else.”

Azpilicueta, who has played as a right-back, as part as a back three and as a wing-back, was signed in 2012 for £7million and his reliability and versatility have seen his value rocket.

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM

Comments