Baines will make new season – Martinez

Date published: Tuesday 14th July 2015 7:17

David Moyes: Upset at lack of a penalty for his side

Baines, 30, had an ankle operation in May and missed the club’s last two matches of the season as well as England’s friendly against the Republic of Ireland and the European qualifier in Slovenia.

He has not been included in the Everton squad for the pre-season tour in the Far East – they take on Stoke City in the first match of the Asia Trophy on Wednesday – but Roberto Martinez is confident he will be available for the season’s opening league game against Watford on August 8.

Martinez told Sky Sports News: “Leighton is well ahead of where we expected him to be. I expect him to be able to start the campaign fully fit. I think the first week in August is a realistic target for Leighton and I would say the same for Brian Oviedo. Both have been progressing really well and I do expect Leighton to be fully fit for the start of the campaign.”

Garbutt is on the tour. He signed a new five-year deal with the club in June, but Martinez is expecting the man who deputised for Baines last season to go out on loan this time round; he has previously had spells with Cheltenham and Colchester.

Martinez said: “He’s got a terrific future. He’s been playing for the England U21s, he’s got the best left-back possible to learn from in the shape of Leighton.

“So this pre-season will tell us a lot about him but the idea will be for him to go out on loan and gain more experience. It was an important decision for him to stay at Everton as he feels he can fully develop his potential here.”

Related Articles

Your Say


Leave a Reply