Barton ‘worried’ for the future of Everton under Martinez

Date published: Tuesday 16th February 2016 9:14

Roberto Martinez: Has been criticised by sections of the fans

Roberto Martinez: Has been criticised by sections of the fans

Joey Barton is “worried” for the future of Everton under Roberto Martinez and says the discontent among the fans is growing.

The Toffees have won just three of their last 13 league games, have conceded a league-high 23 goals at Goodison Park and are 11th in the Premier League – a huge 12 points off fourth place.

Barton, 33, who now plays for Championship promotion-chasers Burnley is a life-long Everton fan and fears fears the club’s best players will all leave in the summer and claims there is little confidence in Martinez.

“It is really worrying times,” Barton told BBC Radio 5 live.

“I know there is discontent because I have dinner with my family once a week, they are all Evertonians and they all moan about what is happening there, some even refuse to go to the games under Martinez, that is how disillusioned they are.”

Everton defender John Stones was the subject of interest from Chelsea in August last year, while Lukaku’s goals look certain to attract interest in the summer and Barton believes those two could lead an exodus out of Goodison Park.

“This summer Ross Barkley, John Stones, Romelu Lukaku and Seamus Coleman could all potentially leave Everton – what are you left with?” said Barton.

“Everton have very good talented young players but how long are they going to say ‘we are not playing Europa League or Champions League and we need to go’?”

Related Articles

Your Say