Liverpool target Mario Gotze has been told to go where he is “comfortable” and sign for Jurgen Klopp at Anfield.
The 23-year-old Germany star looks to be heading out of Bayern Munich this summer and former Bayern and Germany star Franz Beckenbauer thinks a switch to Liverpool is now the best move for him.
Reports earlier this week claimed incoming boss Carlo Ancelotti has told Gotze he can leave and Liverpool have held a long-standing interest in the player, who has previously worked with Klopp at Borussia Dortmund.
The pair worked together at Dortmund before Gotze left for Bayern for £27.75million in July 2013. Gotze has struggled at the Allianz Arena this term and has made just 11 Bundesliga starts and with his contract up next summer the Bundesliga club are ready to cash in on him.
Arsenal and Chelsea have also this week been linked with the player, who could be available for as little as £16million with just 12 months left on his deal.
But Beckenbauer thinks a transfer to Liverpool is the best fit for Gotze, who started and scored twice as Bayern were presented with the Bundesliga title after beating Hannover 3-1 on Saturday.
“I would, in his place, go to a place where I feel comfortable,” he told Sky Germany.
“I have the impression that Mario has not felt right in Munich and also has not been understood, so that he could show his full potential.
“I would in his place go where I am comfortable and follow in the footsteps of Jurgen Klopp.”
Borussia Dortmund are also believed to be interested in the player, who was set to hold future talks with Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge at the end of the season.
However, it’s understood Ancelotti has sanctioned Gotze’s departure and the ball now appears to be firmly in Liverpool’s court.