Benitez considering Newcastle stay even if relegated

Date published: Wednesday 11th May 2016 10:45

Rafael Benitez: Said to be 'seriously considering' Newcastle stay even if relegated

Rafael Benitez: Said to be 'seriously considering' Newcastle stay even if relegated

Rafael Benitez is reported to be ‘seriously considering’ remaining in charge of Newcastle United even if they are relegated to the Championship.

Benitez signed a three-year contract at St James’ Park in March, but the deal included a break clause which he had been widely tipped to exercise were the Magpies to lose their survival battle.

However, the Spaniard has ‘had a change in heart’ according to the Daily Mail having been swayed by the support he has received from supporters.

He will not make a final decision until the club’s fate is decided – it will be on Wednesday night if Sunderland beat Everton at the Stadium of Light – but apparently believes spending a year in the Championship could be favourable to accepting a job elsewhere.

He is said to have been promised ‘total control’ over transfers should Newcastle stay up and is apparently convinced he can eventually lead Newcastle to Europe with long-term guarantees over the budget.

He has even apparently this week been discussing his vision for the club’s training ground and wants work to begin on improving the cramped North Tyneside complex as soon as possible, the newspaper adds.

Related Articles

Your Say