Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp will not sell Christian Benteke below his value and the striker will not be a “present” for potential suitors.
The Belgium international – the latest to return to Merseyside of all the Euro 2016 participants – has yet to feature for the Reds in pre-season, and Klopp has made it clear the 25-year-old’s chances will be limited.
Crystal Palace had a £25million bid rejected last month but have not followed up their interest with a second offer.
However, despite Benteke falling behind Daniel Sturridge, Danny Ings, Divock Origi, Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino in the pecking order, Klopp is adamant he will not be allowed to leave on the cheap.
“Christian already said it maybe makes sense for him to go to another club and that’s the situation at this moment,” said Klopp.
? The manager reflects on memories of Mainz and looks ahead to facing his former club on Sunday… https://t.co/aF1rSksU8t
— Liverpool FC (@LFC) August 5, 2016
“Christian is a still a great striker and that’s how it is, but we have a few more strikers and in this moment it makes more sense to give them match time and that is what we did.
“If there are clubs that want a striker from us they have to make real offers and are not hoping for anything else, otherwise we will find solutions.
“If there is a need on the other side then go for it – but not as a present. That’s how transfers are. A few clubs try to gamble but we are not part of the gambling side. We are serious people, and if there is an offer we will think about it.
“We will see what happens but at the end if someone wants a player from us he has to pay as we have only good players.”