Football Association chairman Greg Dyke believes their eight-year bans mark the “end” for Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini.
The outgoing FIFA president and UEFA president Platini were on Monday both given the lengthy bans from all football activity for abusing their positions.
The punishments were imposed by FIFA’s ethics judge Hans-Joachim Eckert for a “disloyal payment” of 2million Swiss francs (£1.3million) made to Platini in 2011, signed off by Blatter.
Both will appeal the ruling, but FA chairman Dyke believes Blatter will struggle to bounce back from Monday’s developments.
Asked if he had sympathy for the outgoing FIFA president, he told BBC 5 Live: “For Blatter? Personally? No. It’s interesting what he said.
“He just doesn’t separate himself from FIFA. He thinks he is the same thing, and that’s rather sad. I don’t think he will recover from this.
“He saw the attack on FIFA as an attack on him.”
The bans are immediate and end Platini’s slim hopes of running for the FIFA presidency on February 26.
The FA had previously supported the Frenchman in his bid for the FIFA presidency, before suspending it in October following the payment allegations.
“We took an early decision to support Mr Platini,” Dyke said.
“We thought he had done a very good job with UEFA and we were clearly all very disappointed when all this came out. We didn’t know.
“I presume that he will now to go appeal as well, but I would think is the end for both him and Blatter.”
Asked who the FA will support in February’s presidential elections, Dyke added: “Having opted early for Mr Platini, we haven’t decided who we are going to support yet.
“We’ll look at all the candidates in January and make our minds up quite late I would think.”
This was another black day in the recent history of FIFA, but former FA executive director David Davies believes Blatter will still have support in world football.
“Whatever we think in England it will be interesting to hear the reaction of the 137 countries who voted for Mr Blatter as president only last May – don’t assume all of them will be rejoicing today,” he told BBC 5 Live’s Afternoon Edition.
“It appears to me Sepp Blatter genuinely believes he has done nothing wrong and that, to me, is the heart of all this.”
Ex-FA chairman David Bernstein, who retired from his position in 2013 to give way to Dyke, feels Blatter will not be able to win any appeal.
“He’s a drowning man really, there’s no coming back from this,” he said on 5 Live.
“He’ll fight, I’m sure of that. He’s not a soft touch. He will fight but he is doomed. He is yesterday’s man.”
But Patrick Nelson, the Irish FA chief executive, believes the pair need to be given time and understanding to prepare their appeal defence.
“We have to bear in mind Mr Blatter and Mr Platini have a right to due process. The decision has come out today and both have been banned for eight years but both have ways forward in appealing. We need to give them that freedom,” he told the BBC.
“I think it’s a complex matter. We haven’t see what evidence the ethics committee has been able to review.”
Meanwhile, FIFA reform campaigner Damian Collins welcomed the news but called for continued investigation.
Collins, a member of the House of Commons Select Committee for Culture, Media and Sport, said the bans must be followed by further reform.
“We will see in the next few months whether this is the end of FIFA too. They have to implement wide-ranging reforms of the organisation, led by an independent outside body,” the MP told Sky Sports News.
“The fish rots from the head down and we know how rotten the head of FIFA was and we now have to find out just how much of the organisation has been infected.
“They have outlined changes they want to put to the FIFA congress in February, a lot of those changes are a step in the right direction.
“What there has to be is proper independent scrutiny of what FIFA does and stop the president of FIFA holding the same power that Sepp Blatter held in the past, where you have a small elite group of people with very little scrutiny of what they do.”
Blatter’s personal adviser Klaus Stoehlker confirmed he would appeal against the ban, and is prepared to take the case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne, but Collins believes he will fail.
He said: “I’ve heard Sepp Blatter is going to appeal but really there is no point. It’s quite clear he made this payment without a contract. It was delayed for eight years and paid just before the FIFA presidential elections.
“That was clearly a conflict of interest and I don’t really think he has got a leg to stand on.”