Cellino cleared to remain in Leeds role for now

Date published: Friday 13th November 2015 4:13

Massimo Cellino: Leeds United owner looking to sell up anyway

Massimo Cellino: Leeds United owner looking to sell up anyway

Leeds United chairman Massimo Cellino will be allowed to continue in his role at the club until his appeal against his latest disqualification has been heard.

The Football League has set no date for the completion of Cellino’s appeal but said the length of his ban, due to run until June next year, will not be affected if the governing body’s decision is upheld.

Cellino lodged his appeal against his disqualification at the end of last month after being banned by the League for failing its owners’ and directors’ test following another tax conviction in Italy.

The League said in a statement: “The Football League can confirm the Leeds United president, Massimo Cellino, has had his disqualification under the Football League’s Owners’ and Directors’ Test stayed by the League Arbitration Panel appointed to hear his appeal – enabling Mr Cellino to continue in his present capacity at the club until the appeal process has been concluded.

“This will not affect the length of any disqualification served by Mr Cellino in the event that the League’s decision is upheld, as he would then be required to serve a period equivalent to that which he would have served had he chosen not to appeal the matter.

“This would equate to 223 days, which is the length of time between his disqualification becoming effective (November 12, 2015) and his tax conviction in Italy becoming spent under English Law (June 22, 2016).”

Cellino, who took control at Elland Road in April 2014, is actively looking to sell his 75 per cent controlling interest in the West Yorkshire club after coming under fire from fans.

He reneged on an announcement earlier this month that he was ready to sell to supporters’ group Leeds Fans United and has pledged to stay away from Leeds games following chants for him to go during the recent home defeat to Blackburn.

At the end of last month, Cellino was banned for a second time for breaching the League’s owners’ and directors’ rules following his latest conviction for failing to pay tax on a Range Rover.

The Italian, who has three further criminal cases against him still outstanding, served his previous ban from January until May, having been found guilty of failing to pay VAT on a yacht.

Related Articles

Your Say