Chelsea had a £20million offer for Everton defender John Stones rejected last week and have been tipped to make an improved bid, with Gary Cahill on Wednesday urging his England team-mate to make the move if he gets the opportunity.
However, despite the interest, Mourinho insists there is no desperate need to strengthen his squad with Stones or any other player before the end of August.
Speaking after his side’s friendly defeat against New York Red Bulls, Mourinho said there had been no second offer for Stones yet, adding: “You are speaking with the manager of the best team in England. We are a top team, we have top players. We don’t need other players, we trust these players.”
One obvious hole in Mourinho’s squad is at left-back, with Filipe Luis’ imminent return to Atletico Madrid leaving Cesar Azpilicueta as the only recognised specialist.
The Luis deal is done, according to Mourinho, who said: “We sold Filipe. We have the best left-back in England – Azpilicueta.”