Chelsea join Man Utd, Man City in £40m Walker battle – report

Date published: Wednesday 17th May 2017 11:52

Kyle Walker: Could leave Tottenham this summer

Premier League champions Chelsea are set to join both Manchester clubs in the race to sign Tottenham defender Kyle Walker, according to reports.

The Daily Mirror suggests Chelsea boss Antonio Conte is keen on the 26-year-old full-back and is ready to hijack both Manchester United and Manchester City’s efforts to sign him.

While Conte is said to be very impressed with Victor Moses’ performances this season, the Italian is keen to strengthen his options down the right ahead of the Blues’ return to the Champions League next season.

Chelsea were last week linked with a move for Juventus veteran Dani Alves for the very same reasons.

And with Manchester United and Manchester City both reportedly seeking to add more depth to the full-back position as well, with the latter having said goodbye to Pablo Zabeleta last night after nine years at the club, Spurs could face a real battle on their hands to keep Walker at the club next season.

The report claims that while none of the trio have made an official approach yet for Walker, they know they will have to fork out in excess of £40million to land their man, especially with Daniel Levy’s insistence that players will only be sold on their terms.

Raheem Sterling: Pushed by Kyle Walker

Speculation has been mounting as of late over Walker’s future with the North London club, after it was reported the right-back had fallen out with coach Mauricio Pochettino.

The situation came to a head when Kevin Trippier was selected above Walker in the Spurs’ FA cup semi-final loss to Chelsea.

However, Tottenham will not be under any pressure to let the player go as he still four years left on his current contract and Levy was quoted as saying last week: ‘All our key players are under contract, contracts they were happy to sign at the time.

‘We would expect them to honour those contracts. They wouldn’t have had a reduction if things had gone badly.

‘No player would be sold who Tottenham didn’t want to sell for non-footballing reasons.’

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM

Comments