Coutinho reveals Barcelona promise as Valverde provides fitness update

Date published: Thursday 25th January 2018 9:20

New Barcelona signing Philippe Coutinho was reportedly made a promise by Ernesto Valverde before joining the club.

The Brazil international completed a British-record £142m switch to the Nou Camp earlier in the month, but is yet to make his official debut for the club due to injury.

According to Don Balon, Coutinho was told by Valverde that the club plan to offload winger Gerard Deulofeu before the end of the current window.

The Catalan giants are reportedly closing in on selling the former Everton man to Serie A leaders Napoli, in order to guarantee Coutinho a spot in the first team.

Valverde claims that the 25-year-old may make his Barca debut against former club Espanyol in Thursday’s Copa del Rey second leg at the Nou Camp.

“I’m reluctant to put an exact date on a start for Coutinho, but the progress of the injury is very positive,” Valverde said.

Want news and features on the Reds on your Facebook timeline? Like our dedicated Liverpool page.

“He had a small muscular problem in his quadriceps which is a particularly sensitive zone when striking the ball with power, but I hope he’s soon with us.

“Thursday is possible and I hope that today he can train with the rest of the squad.”

 

Boris Becker exclusive: Federer probably wouldn’t beat McEnroe or Borg in their pomp (Tennis365)

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM

Comments