Spain coach Vicente del Bosque says he “trusts” Diego Costa and still wants the Chelsea striker to be involved with the national team.
Del Bosque omitted the controversial Costa from his squad for the recent Euro 2016 qualifiers with Luxembourg and Ukraine and claimed the striker’s actions against Arsenal were”unedifying”.
Costa, 26, was banned for three games last month after he was involved in an incident with Arsenal pair Laurent Koscielny and Gabriel, in which the later was subsequently sent off.
Del Bosque pointed to the fact that Costa was suspended against Luxembourg anyway after being booked against Macedonia and that was the reason why Costa was replaced by Alvaro Moratta in the recent squad.
But despite leaving Costa on the sidelines Del Bosque is not ready to give up on the Chelsea man, who has scored just one goal in nine appearances for Spain.
“We have seen Diego Costa improve and he has no consequences from the injuries which held him back,” Del Bosque told Al Primer Toque radio show.
“We trust in him and he can bring a lot for us. He is the first one who wants to be with us, and wants to do well. It is a position with a lot competition — together with Morata, Alcacer, [Roberto] Soldado, [Fernando] Llorente, [Alvaro] Negredo, and [Fernando] Torres, who has more than 100 caps.”
Spain face England in a friendly in Alicante on Friday, November 13 with Belgium the likely opponents, yet to be confirmed, on Tuesday, November 17.