Donald Trump’s United States ‘refuse entry’ to ex-Man Utd star

Date published: Friday 17th February 2017 5:22

Dwight Yorke: No entry to Miami

Former Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke was denied entry to the United States on Friday, Press Association Sport understands.

It is unclear whether Yorke was prevented from entering the USA due to an Iranian stamp on his passport or a visa issue.

The 45-year-old enjoyed widespread success in English football, playing for Aston Villa, United, Blackburn, Birmingham and Sunderland before retiring in 2009.

Yorke has enjoyed a varied career since then and, having this week worked for beIN Sports, was due to travel from Doha, Qatar to Trinidad and Tobago on personal business on Friday.

Sources told the Press Association the ex-striker was set to fly to Miami in transit to his homeland, only to be prevented from entering the US.

beIN Sports presenter Richard Keys posted on Twitter: “Well done @realDonaldTrump. Man U ambassador Dwight Yorke denied transit access to Miami cause he has Iranian stamp in passport. #crazy”

Yorke represented the ‘World Stars’ in a charity match against ‘Iranian Stars’ at the Azadi Stadium in Tehran on August 28, 2015.

Last month US President Donald Trump signed an executive order temporarily barring those from Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen entering the country.

On Thursday, Trump’s administration said in court documents that it does not want a larger appeals panel to review a ruling keeping its travel ban on hold and will instead replace the ban.

Somalia-born British Olympic champion Sir Mo Farah called the travel ban “deeply troubling” and has fears over his return to America.

Farah lives and train in Portland, Oregon and is currently in Birmingham for the Indoor Grand Prix.

Asked if he had concerns when he returns to the US he said: “Yes, I’ve had issues before. But hopefully it will be fine, I always try and look on the bright side of life. I’m not going back yet.

“I’m competing here and then on Sunday back to another training camp as I have to do a bit more training but I do have to go back in March and see my family and at that point we will see.”

Related Articles

Your Say