Door opens for Man City as Bayern rule out move for Arsenal hitman

Date published: Tuesday 18th July 2017 9:33

Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has confirmed that his club are no longer pursuing the transfer of Arsenal’s Alexis Sanchez.

There had been reports that Bayern were out of the running for the Chile frontman and now Rummenigge has passed comment on continued links with the player.

Rummenigge insists that himself and Bayern boss Carlo Ancelotti have decided there is no need for the club to buy another attacking player so they have officially ended their interest, leaving the door open for Manchester City to swoop.

“I don’t know what (Sanchez) has said but we are no longer involved,” Rummenigge said.

“We are in agreement with the coach (Ancelotti) and we won’t be doing another deal for an attacker. That makes no sense.”

Sanchez is keen to quit the Emirates as he enters the final year of his contract and is said to favour a move to City anyway, so Bayern’s snub is not all bad news for the 28-year-old, according to the report in Metro.

However, Gunners boss Arsene Wenger insists that the player is not for sale and that he is confident Sanchez will stay: “There is not a lot to resolve at the moment with the player. I have spoken through text and it was very positive. My thoughts are always positive.”

Sanchez, meanwhile, told reporters in Chile recently how important it was for him to be playing in the Champions League – something Arsenal cannot give him ahead of the new season.

“I want to play the Champions League,” he said. ‘”he decision does not depend on me, I have to wait for Arsenal.

“I’ve made my decision, now I wait for Arsenal’s reply. The idea is to play and win the Champions League. I’ve dreamt about it since I was a kid.”

So it seems that Sanchez could force Arsenal’s hand this summer and the big question for the Emirates board is whether they bring in a significant fee for a 28-year-old or let him leave for nothing in 2018.

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM

Comments