Dortmund ‘open door’ on move for Liverpool target Gotze

Date published: Tuesday 26th April 2016 4:51

Mario Gotze: Liverpool target free to leave Bayern Munich

Mario Gotze: Heading back to Dortmund

Borussia Dortmund may well be at the head of the queue for Liverpool target Mario Gotze.

The Bayern Munich midfielder is set to hold future talks with Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge at the end of the season.

Gotze, 23, has not had the most productive of seasons in Bavaria and there have been rumours that the midfielder will look to move on at the end of the season.

According to Rummenigge though the player has not spoken of his desire to leave Bayern and earlier this month he claimed he was willing to switch his focus to Gotze’s future once the season has ended.

“We are in the important weeks of the season, so we concentrate on the here and now,” Rummenigge told Schwabische Zeitung.

“This is all that counts. When all the games are done, Mario is invited to come to my office and speak with Bayern on his future.

“Everything else is speculative. Neither Mario nor his agent has expressed themselves about this subject.”

His former club Dortmund though have been making moves to line up a return for the Germany international and Dortmund chief Hans-Joachim Watzke believes a return is possible.

“If he’s on the market, it’s clear if we discuss about him,” he said at the AUDI-Star-Talk. “The door is always open for every player who comes from Dortmund. If he returns we have to talk with the fans and he has to explain how he left for Bayern.

“But I don’t think that they won’t give him a second chance.”

Gotze left Dortmund to join Bayern Munich in 2013 for £30million, with the German having spent 12 years at the Westfalenstadion in the youth ranks then the first team.

Liverpool have been heavily linked with a move for the player, whom Jurgen Klopp managed at Dortmund.

Related Articles

Your Say

teamtalk323