Arsenal will be hoping to win at Nottingham Forest to continue a glorious trend, while there are a lot of first-time meetings in the third round of the EFL Cup.
Nottingham Forest – Arsenal
Tuesday, 7:45pm, City Ground
- Nottingham Forest and Arsenal have met twice before in the League Cup. Both encounters were 2-0 Quarter-Final home victories for the Gunners, in 1987 and 1993 – with Arsenal going on to win the trophy both times.
- Arsenal have won their last three matches against Nottingham Forest, beating them in the Premier League in 1997, 1998 and 1999.
- In fact, Forest have only won one of the last 13 meetings against Arsenal in all competitions (D4 L8).
- Arsenal were eliminated when they last faced Championship opponents in the League Cup, losing 3-0 at Sheffield Wednesday last season.
- Forest have lost their last nine League Cup games against Premier League opponents (as a lower ranked side), last beating Man City in December 1993.
Queens Park Rangers – Sunderland
Wednesday, 7:45pm, Loftus Road
- This is the first League Cup meeting between the two sides.
- QPR have won their last three matches against Sunderland in all competitions, conceding just one goal in the process.
- This will be QPR’s first appearance in the third round of the League Cup since the 2012-13 campaign, where they lost 3-2 at home to Reading.
- After reaching the final in 2014, Sunderland have fallen at this stage of the competition in each of the last two seasons.
- The Black Cats have won each of their last five League Cup games against sides from a lower division, last losing to Middlesbrough in October 2012.
West Ham United – Accrington Stanley
Wednesday, 7:45pm, London Stadium
- This is the first ever meeting between the two sides.
- This is the first time Accrington Stanley have got to Round 3 of the League Cup in their history, having been eliminated in Round 2 four times.
- This match will be the first domestic cup match at the London Stadium.
- West Ham have won seven of their last nine League Cup ties against fourth-tier opponents (D1 L1). The loss was a 2-1 home defeat against Aldershot in 2011.
- Accrington’s win over Burnley in the last round was their first ever victory against top-flight opposition in all competitions.
Southampton – Crystal Palace
Wednesday, 7:45pm, St Mary’s
- The last two League Cup meetings between Southampton and Crystal Palace have ended 2-0 to the Eagles (1992 and 2011).
- Southampton have won seven of their last 10 matches against Palace in all competitions (L3).
- Palace have conceded a combined total of eight goals in their last two League Cup matches against fellow Premier League opponents, losing both matches.
- The Saints have kept just one clean sheet (2-0 v Portsmouth in 2003) in their last 19 League Cup matches against Premier League opponents.
- Southampton have reached the fourth round of the League Cup in each of the last five seasons, making the quarter-finals in each of the last two.
Swansea City – Manchester City
Wednesday, 7:45pm, Liberty Stadium
- These two sides have never previously met in the League Cup.
- Manchester City have won seven of their last 10 League Cup matches against fellow Premier League opponents (D1 L2). The draw was against Liverpool in last season’s final, which City won on penalties.
- City have won two of the last three League Cup competitions (2014 and 2016), while Swansea won the trophy in 2013.
- Swansea have lost only one of their five meetings with fellow Premier League sides in the League Cup, 1-2 vs Liverpool in October 2014 (W3 D1).
- Manchester City have lost just one of their last 12 matches against Swansea in all competitions (W9 D2).
Fulham – Bristol City
Wednesday, 7:45pm, Craven Cottage
- The only League Cup meeting between these two sides came in 1970/71, where Bristol City eliminated Fulham at the Quarter-Final stage, 1-0 after a replay.
- Fulham have won six of their last eight League Cup matches at Craven Cottage (L2).
- Fulham have won three of their last four matches against Bristol City in all competitions (L1).
- Bristol City were eliminated by Southampton on the last two occasions they made it to Round 3 (2003-04 and 2013-14). They’ve not reached Round 4 since 1988-89, when they were eliminated at the semi-final stage.
- Tammy Abraham has scored both of Bristol City’s winning goals in the EFL Cup this season.
Bournemouth – Preston North End
Tuesday, 7:45pm, Vitality Stadium
- Bournemouth and Preston met in Round 3 of the League Cup last season. The Cherries won 3-2 on penalties following a 2-2 draw at Deepdale.
- Of the 28 meetings between these two sides, all but two were in the third tier of English football.
- Preston have lost 10 of their last 11 away League Cup games against top flight sides, with their only victory coming at Birmingham in November 2002 (2-0).
- Indeed, that win over Birmingham was also the last time Preston reached the fourth round of the League Cup, eventually losing to Aston Villa.
- Bournemouth have progressed from nine of their last 10 League Cup ties against lower ranked opponents, losing out only to Oxford on penalties in August 2012.
Tottenham Hotspur – Gillingham
Wednesday, 8pm, White Hart Lane
- The only previous meeting between Tottenham and Gillingham was also a Round 3 League Cup match, in November 1982. Spurs won 4-2 at Priestfield.
- Tottenham have won four of their last five League Cup matches at White Hart Lane (L1).
- Tottenham have been eliminated from just three of their last 12 Round 3 League Cup matches. Two of those defeats were against rivals Arsenal, in 2010 and 2015.
- Gillingham last reached Round 3 in 2005, where they were eliminated following a 2-0 defeat at Doncaster Rovers.
- The last time Tottenham were eliminated from the League Cup by a lower ranked side was in the 2005-06 campaign, where they lost 0-1 at Grimsby in the second round.
Everton – Norwich City
Tuesday, 7:45pm, Goodison Park
- Everton and Norwich met in Round 4 of the League Cup last season. The Toffees progressed 4-3 on penalties after a 1-1 draw at Goodison Park.
- Everton have won their last five League Cup matches against lower league opponents, scoring 15 goals in the process, an average of three goals per match.
- Meanwhile, Norwich have lost their last five meetings against Premier League opponents (while playing in the Football League), most recently in August 2010, a 3-1 defeat to Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park.
- Everton have lost just one of their last 15 matches against Norwich in all competitions (W7 D7).
- Norwich haven’t beaten Everton at Goodison Park since September 1993, when the Canaries won 5-1.
Derby County – Liverpool
Tuesday, 7:45pm, iPro Stadium
- The only previous League Cup meeting between these two sides was in October 1977 – Liverpool won 2-0 at Anfield.
- Derby have lost 21 of their last 26 matches against Liverpool in all competitions (W3 D2).
- Derby have failed to score in three of their last four home matches against Liverpool in all competitions.
- Derby last beat Premier League opposition in the League Cup when they won the first leg of the 2009 semi-final against Manchester United at Pride Park.
- Liverpool have been eliminated from just one of their last 13 League Cup ties against lower league opposition, losing out on penalties against Northampton at Anfield in September 2010.
Northampton Town – Manchester United
Wednesday, 7:45pm, Sixfields
- Northampton have never beaten Manchester United (D1 L3).
- These two sides met in the FA Cup in 1970 and 2004 with United winning 8-2 and 3-0, but they have never met in the League Cup.
- The last time Northampton were involved in a Round 3 League Cup match they beat Liverpool 4-2 on penalties after a 2-2 draw at Anfield in September 2010.
- Manchester United have been eliminated from the League Cup by lower league opposition in each of the last two seasons (MK Dons and Middlesbrough).
- Jose Mourinho has won seven of his eight League Cup matches against lower ranked opposition, drawing the other.
Brighton & Hove Albion – Reading
Tuesday, 7:45pm, AMEX Stadium
- Brighton and Reading played against each other four times in Round 1 of the 1974 League Cup. Reading eventually won 3-2 in the third replay.
- Brighton have scored four goals in both of their League Cup matches so far this season.
- Brighton and Reading have one win apiece in their last six meetings in all competitions; the other four matches have ended in draws.
- Reading have lost their last two League Cup matches against opponents in the same division.
- Brighton reached Round 4 of the League Cup in 2014-15, losing out to Spurs. Prior to that, they hadn’t reached the fourth round since 1979-80.
Newcastle United – Wolverhampton Wanderers
Tuesday, 7:45pm, Sports Direct Arena
- These two sides have never met in the League Cup.
- Newcastle haven’t beaten Wolves in a domestic cup match since the 1951 FA Cup semi-final replay, drawing two and losing three since then.
- Wolves have been eliminated from each of their last nine League Cup games against sides from the same division as them.
- Wolves have lost their last three League Cup games away from home, conceding 10 goals and failing to score themselves.
- This will be Newcastle’s fourth consecutive home game in the competition, winning two and losing one of the previous three.
Stoke City – Hull City
Wednesday, 8pm, Bet365 Stadium
- These two sides have never met in the League Cup.
- Stoke have lost just one of their last 12 matches against Hull in all competitions (W5 D6).
- Stoke have won their last three home matches against Hull without conceding a goal.
- Hull reached the quarter-finals in last season’s League Cup; their best ever run in the competition.
- Meanhwhile, Stoke reached the semi-finals last season – their best run since reaching the final in 1972.
Leicester City – Chelsea
Tuesday, 7:45pm, King Power Stadium
- These two sides last met in the League Cup in October 2007. Chelsea won 4-3 at Stamford Bridge en-route to the final.
- Leicester and Chelsea also played out the 1965 League Cup final. Chelsea were again victorious, winning 3-2 over two legs.
- Leicester have scored exactly two goals in seven of their last nine home games against Chelsea in all competitions.
- The Blues have only been eliminated in Round 3 once in the last 10 seasons (3-4 vs Newcastle in 2010-11).
- The Foxes have failed to keep a clean sheet in any of their last eight home games in the League Cup.
Leeds United – Blackburn Rovers
Tuesday, 7:45pm, Elland Road
- Leeds and Blackburn have met four times in the League Cup between 1962 and 2005, with two victories apiece.
- The two sides meet in the League Cup while in the same division for the first time since November 1995 when both were in the Premier League. Leeds won 2-1 en-route to reaching the final.
- Only Brighton (8) have scored more goals in this edition of the EFL Cup than Blackburn (7).
- Leeds have won six of their last seven League Cup matches at Elland Road. The other was a 5-1 Quarter-Final defeat to Chelsea in 2012.
- Blackburn have kept a clean sheet in just one of their last 20 League Cup matches, a Round 3 1-0 win over Nottingham Forest in 2009.