Gianluigi Buffon has dropped a big hint over his future, while Liverpool’s pursuit of Thomas Lemar is back on and there’s a new favourite for to sign Max Meyer, according to Tuesday’s European papers.
BUFFON HINTS AT SHOCK NEW JUVE DEAL
Juventus and Italy legend Gianluigi Buffon has hinted that he may extend his career for another year.
Speaking ahead of the Champions League last-16, second-leg clash against Tottenham at Wembley, the 40-year-old was asked if he was thinking of extending his career beyond the end of the current campaign.
His answer was a little vague, but he did declare: “I don’t have any more reflecting to do. These have already been made. I have to meet with the President to define the details but I think we both have the same idea.
“Now is not the time to talk about it, the ideas are safe and as I have already stated, I do not want to unsettle the coach.”
Buffon also reflected on the sad passing of Fiorentina captain Davide Astori at the weekend, adding: “The best way to remember is to ensure that our sportsman are not forgotten and we can honour their memory by continuing to do well.”
NEW FAVOURITES FOR MEYER
Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool target Max Meyer could move to Atletico Madrid, according to a report.
German publication Bild report Atletico are favourites to sign the 22-year-old when his contract with the German side ends in June.
Diego Simeone needs to add some depth to his squad and he is quoted in the Daily Mail as saying Meyer “would assist in rejuvenating” his older squad.
Meyer, who has played as a holding midfielder this season for Domenico Tedesco, turned down a new contract last year and he has now turned his back on an improved offer.
Bild recently claim Schalke have offered him a £5million-a-year deal to make him the club’s highest earner.
However, last week sporting executive Christian Heidel says the offer has been refused.
“Max Meyer’s agents, on Jan. 12, received an offer limited until Feb. 15, and on Feb. 15 informed us via email that Max has turned down the offer because of the time limit,” Heidel told Der Westen.
MAN UTD IN TALKS WITH BARCELONA OVER TRIPLE RAID
Manchester United have contacted Barcelona to discuss the possibility of signing three of their stars this summer, according to reports in Spain.
Jose Mourinho is already turning his eye towards the summer transfer window and is said to be lining up the three deals which would set United back around €180million.
According to Spanish publication Don Balon, United have spoken to Barcelona about signing Andre Gomes, Marc-Andre ter Stegen and Samuel Umtiti.
Of the three, Barcelona are said to be willing to let Gomes go without any issues and the Portuguese star, who has failed to make an impression under Ernesto Valverde, and is said to be available for a fee of around €30million.
United’s interest in Ter Stegen is said to depend on David De Gea’s future, with Mourinho thought to have identified the €90million-rated Germany keeper should the Red Devils’ current No 1 depart for Real Madrid this summer. However, developments on Tuesday appeared to suggest the keeper was close to agreeing a new deal to stay at Old Trafford this summer – thus ending United’s interest in Ter Stegen before it has begun.
Barcelona are also unwilling to part with Umtiti, but with the defender having an exit clause in his deal worth €60million, the club are exposed to vultures and may not be able to prevent United activating his exit fee. The LaLiga table toppers are holding talks with the former Lyon star’s agents in a bid to thrash out a new deal.
However, reports on Tuesday suggest Umtiti has demanded wages beyond what Barcelona are willing to pay him and, with the club under pressure to reduce their expenditure following a heavy transfer outlay in the past two windows, could look to move the player on….
The best United news direct to your Facebook timeline: Like our dedicated Manchester Utd Facebook page.
AND THE REST
Liverpool have made good progress in their pursuit of Thomas Lemar and an ‘agreement in principle’ is close to being reached between the two parties (Le 10 Sport)
Real Madrid president Florentino Perez is a huge fan of Christian Pulisic and will sanction a €80m move for the attacker once the summer transfer window opens (Diario Gol)
Ramires has said he wants to play for Chelsea again before he retires because of the “special affection” he has for the club (UOL Esporte)
Arsenal have offered Laurent Koscielny to Atletico Madrid as a sweetener in their attempts to lure Jose Maria Gimenez to the club this summer (El Gol Digital)
Juventus have made a €2.5million offer for Altinordu goalkeeper Berke Ozer, who is also wanted by Manchester City and Chelsea (Yeni Safek)
Arsenal have expressed an interest in signing Bayern Leverkusen goalkeeper Bernd Leno, who has a £22million release clause in his contract. The Gunners are said to be in the market for a long-term replacement for Petr Cech who has made some costly blunders of late (Bild)
Barcelona have been tracking Olympique Lyonnais left-back Ferland Mendy with a view to replacing Lucas Digne this summer (France Football)
AC Milan will meet with Alessio Romagnoli’s agent next week to offer the Manchester United target a new deal which would see his wages rise from €2million a season to €3.5million a season (Calciomercato)
PSG’s sporting director Antero Henrique is already actively trying to find a big-name replacement for coach Unai Emery this summer (Le Parisian)
Fabio Coentrao wishes to remain at Sporting Lisbon beyond the current season and make his loan move from Real Madrid permanent (Marca)
Former Real Madrid manager Jose Antonio Camacho believes the club should do all in their power to sign PSG forward Neymar this summer (Cadena Ser)
Arsenal are eyeing a summer move for Benfica winger Andrija Zivkovic (A Bola)
Marcos Alonso has welcomed reports linking Luis Enrique with the Chelsea hotseat (Cadena Cope)
Arthur’s agent is travelling to Barcelona to finalise a deal to take him to the club from Gremio for around €40million (Mundo Deportivo)
Former AC Milan striker Alexander Pato, who currently plays in China for Tianjin Quanjian, says he won’t rule out a future return to Europe (Globesporte)
Fiorentina and Cagliari have both announced they will retire the No 13 shirt worn by Davide Astori following the defender’s tragic passing at 31 years of age over the weekend
La Liga have confirmed the first-ever Spanish original series named Six Dreams to be aired on Amazon Prime in conjunction with MediaPro
Manchester City target Joshua Kimmich is close to signing a new long-term deal with Bayern Munich (Kicker)
More from Planet Sport: As football debates VAR, tennis celebrates 12 years of the challenge system (Tennis365).