Everton boss Roberto Martinez is convinced he has the experience to drive the club forward and is not worried about getting the sack.
Martinez’s men, who finished 11th last term, sit in 12th place this season and face a huge game against Chelsea in the FA Cup this weekend – their only chance of success this season – but Martinez insists he is the right man to lead Everton forward.
However, the Everton fans’ frustrations have been growing after another season of underachievement and the Spaniard has said he shares their frustrations, but he is not worried about his future at the club.
“As a manager, you cannot worry. The moment that you worry for yourself, you are not a good manager,” he said.
“A manager needs to worry about his 23 or 24 players, to allow them to enjoy their football and their position in the team, while giving them direction. If I was new to the Premier League maybe I would be worried.
“But I have been very fortunate to have had 10 years managing and seven of them in the Premier.
“So I speak from a good position of what pressure is. Whatever you’re fighting for the FA Cup, fighting relegation, trying to get into the top four, I have that experience.”
Chelsea are Everton’s next opponents in the FA Cup quarter-final against on Saturday.
“We have been winning the game then throwing it away, and that is harder to take than not being good enough in the first place,” added Martinez.
“It is a painful process to go through but we can learn from it. The FA Cup is a different competition to the league and in the rounds played so far we have not even conceded a goal.
“The focus now is on Chelsea, who might be out of the Champions League but are still last year’s English champions, so with a late kick-off and a game under lights we are hoping the Goodison effect will come into play.”