Cesc Fabregas has thanked BBC pundit Pat Nevin for issuing an apology after the latter admitted he was wrong to suggest the midfielder was leaking negative comments about former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho.
Former Chelsea star Nevin has made a statement on his Twitter account insisting Fabregas was not the player who allegedly said he “would rather lose than win for Mourinho”, in a comment that attracted huge publicity earlier this season.
Reports suggested Fabregas was considering legal action over the claims, but Nevin moved to end the story with this Twitter message:
NB Cfc fans. The story re Cesc is wrong! He was NOT the player saying he wouldn't play for JM. What I said on R4 was misconstrued totally.
— Pat Nevin (@PatNevin) December 20, 2015
And following Nevin’s apology, Fabregas has taken to Instagram to welcome the former Blues player’s response.
I’m pleased that Pat Nevin and the BBC have now apologised and corrected their comments. I can reiterate that I had an exceptionally good relationship with Jose Mourinho as I will aim to have with any coach that I play for. The football club is more important than any one player. We have all let the manager and club down this year as a collective unit. We will get this right of that I am sure. With all your help we can put this period behind us and make @chelseafc great again.