Former PSG chief Kluivert shatters Barcelona’s Verratti hope

Date published: Wednesday 21st June 2017 7:29

Former Paris Saint-Germain director of football Patrick Kluivert says the Ligue 1 side will not sell Marco Verratti to Barcelona this summer.

The Italy midfielder has been heavily linked with Barca this summer and Kluivert admitted the player does want to make the move to Spain.

Kluivert though, who spent 12 months at PSG and left his role last month, says PSG are insistent they want to keep the player, despite Barca sporting director Robert Fernandez claiming they will make “big-name signings” this summer.

Kluivert believes PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi will not agree to sell Verratti, who has also been linked with Man Utd, in this transfer window.

“I know the president very well and I also know that Verratti wants to go to Barcelona, but PSG will not let him leave,” he told La Sexta.

“He renewed his contract last year and it will be very difficult [for Barca to sign him].”

Asked if €70m to €80m was enough for the 24-year-old, Kluivert added: “Verratti’s worth more than that. I think he’s worth more than €100m.”

Diario Gol reported yesterday that Barcelona were prepared to offer Rafinha, Arda Turan and Andre Gomes to get Verratti to Catalonia.

The player’s agent Donato Di Campli has held talks with the club and admitted the situation was “complicated”.

 

“It’s very complicated [to leave], but we have expressed our ideas to PSG,” Donato Di Campli told Sky Italia. “We’re not talking about Barcelona or other clubs, it’s about projects.

“I think I represent a champion and clearly I have questions. To be a champion you have to win.

“If PSG don’t want to sell him, despite offers from all over Europe, then we’d have to examine our consciences in Italy.

“It’s difficult. I think it’s a deal which is still out of the scope of Italian clubs.”

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM

Comments