Premier League basement-dwellers Aston Villa have confirmed that Tom Fox has stepped down as chief executive with immediate effect.
The Villans are nine points adrift of safety at the bottom of the table with eight games of the season remaining, and Fox becomes the second high-profile exit this week following the departure of sporting director Hendrik Almstadt on Tuesday.
“The Board would like to place on record its appreciation to Tom for his many contributions and commitment over the last 18 months,” said chairman Steve Hollis, who is now interim chief executive until a replacement is found.
While the results this season have been disappointing he and his team have worked hard to put in place many changes necessary to put the Club on a more sustainable path for the future. He leaves with our best wishes for the future.”
Fox himself also issued a statement, where he revealed his honour at being on the board at a prestigious club and said he has accepted the offer to lend his support in the search for his replacement as the Villans head in a new direction.
“Joining Aston Villa was a huge privilege for me and while I’m bitterly disappointed by results this season, watching the Club compete at Wembley in the FA Cup Final last year is a memory I’ll cherish,” Fox said.
I’m appreciative to the Board and the owner for the opportunity to help put Villa back on a solid footing and able to compete in the most competitive sports league in the world.
“Aston Villa is a proud and storied Club which deserves to be among the elite in Europe and I have every confidence that it will once again find its way back.
“While I am supportive of where the Board is trying to take the Club, it is my feeling that given the changes they are making, it makes sense for me to seek another challenge. I have accepted the Board’s invitation to remain available during a period of transition to ensure a smooth handover.