Paul Gascoigne, who has struggled with alcoholism for a number of years, has had another relapse, according to his friend and former team-mate Gary Mabbutt.
The 48-year-old “has been taken in for his own welfare”, ex-Spurs captain Mabbutt told The Sun.
Pictures showing Gascoigne with cuts to his face, appearing to carry a bottle of alcohol and being accompanied by a police officer were published in the newspaper on Saturday.
The former England midfielder had a relapse earlier this week, The Sun said.
— Nick Sutton (@suttonnick) March 25, 2016
Mabbutt said: “As far as I’m aware he’s just gone in and he’s being looked after. It’s being treated as someone who has this condition and has had the relapse.”
“There is a strong support network around the star, he added.
Gascoigne later admitted he was “determined to get back on track”.
A statement on his management’s Facebook page said: “Paul has had a bad week. This photograph is of him at 8.10 this morning. The Sun photos were bad but this is two days later , he wasn’t admitted to hospital as they said in their interview.
“He went home, where he is recovering. He told me he’s been working out and getting stronger and he is determined to get back on track.”
Gascoigne has previously told how he realised he was an alcoholic when he was 33, having been confused as to why when he woke up at 5am after a night out he would still want another drink.
Speaking last year, Gascoigne said he was “in a good place”.
He told an audience at a screening of Gascoigne, a film on his life, troubles and career in June: “I just pray I don’t pick up another drink. I don’t want to, but I just stay strong for you guys… I love the world, I love the people in it and the most important bit, you know, today I love myself.”
Meanwhile, let’s just remember the good times….