ARSENAL’S BID FOR BENZEMA REJECTED
Arsenal have seen a big-money bid for Real Madrid’s Karim Benzema rejected, according to the Daily Express.
Real were initially open to selling the the striker but it would seem that they’ve had a change of heart and still want to keep the France international.
Arsene Wenger has been looking to strengthen his striking options, as the Gunners look for a sustained title challenge this season, but it would appear that Benzema is no longer an option.
Arsenal have been linked with Dortmund hitman Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Napoli’s Gonzalo Higuain and Man City forward Edin Dzeko this summer, and it would seem that Wenger is getting more and more desperate to add competition to his current striking ranks before the window closes on September 2.
NORWICH LEADING CHASE FOR LAMBERT
The Daily Mirror claims that Norwich are leading the race to sign Liverpool striker Rickie Lambert.
West Brom, Bournemouth and Aston Villa have all shown an interest in the former England hitman, but it would seem that Canaries chief Alex Neil has stolen a march on his rivals.
Norwich are believed to be ready to offer a fee of around £3million for 33-year-old, who looks certain to leave Anfield ahead of Christian Benteke’s switch to Merseyside from Villa.
Neil certainly has a number of attacking options at his disposal but Lambert is a proven goalscorer at Premier League level, despite his disappointing spell at Liverpool, and would be a shrewd addition for the Canaries.
AND THE REST
– John Stones is ‘definitely interested’ in joining Chelsea (The Sun).
– Furious West Brom fans have demanded the club sack James McClean for snubbing the English flag (The Sun).
– Nemanja Matic has taunted Manchester United, claiming their summer spending could backfire (The Sun).
– Andriy Yarmolenko has been told to snub Stoke as he can do better (The Sun).
– Crystal Palace have clinched a loan deal for Chelsea striker Patrick Bamford (The Sun).
– Loic Remy has snubbed a reunion with Alan Pardew at Crystal Palace to fight for his Chelsea place (The Sun).
– Manchester United have denied making a £70m bid for Germany and Bayern Munich striker Thomas Muller (Daily Mirror).
– Paris Saint-Germain are convinced they are winning the fight to snatch Angel Di Maria from Manchester United after just one season (Daily Mirror).
– Sunderland are determined to land Tottenham midfielder Mousa Dembele – despite the north Londoners’ insistence that he is not for sale (Daily Mirror).
– West Ham will return for Kevin Mirallas this week after their £6million bid was rejected over the weekend (Daily Mirror).
– Chelsea will ignore Everton’s insistence John Stones is not for sale and will consider paying a record £34m for the defender in an attempt to weaken their resolve (Daily Express).
– Crystal Palace are set to sign QPR goalkeeper Alex McCarthy or £3.5million – and Chelsea striker Patrick Bamford on a season-long loan (Daily Express).
– Lyon defender Samuel Umtiti has snubbed Chelsea and Arsenal by signing a new deal with the French club (Daily Express).
– Spurs will consider allowing Emmanuel Adebayor to join Aston Villa on a season-long loan which would effectively end his White Hart Lane career (Daily Telegraph).
– Chelsea remain confident of signing John Stones from Everton, but may need to pay as much as £34 million for the central defender (Daily Telegraph).
– Chelsea are refusing to relent in the battle to sign Everton’s John Stones and will make an improved bid of around £26m while Loic Remy has been told he still has a future at Stamford Bridge (The Guardian).
– Arturo Vidal is joining Bayern Munich after Juventus agreed a £25.9m fee for the midfielder with a further £2.1m in add-ons (The Guardian).
– Crystal Palace are set to sign the QPR goalkeeper Alex McCarthy, which should pave the way for the Eagles’ Wayne Hennessey to join West Brom (The Guardian).
– Manchester United do not wish to allow Jonny Evans to leave until they have another centre back lined up (Daily Mail).
– Chelsea’s move for £15million-rated Augsburg left back Baba Rahman can now go ahead after the Barclays Premier League champions agreed that Filipe Luis can return to Atletico Madrid (Daily Mail).
– Alexandre Pato is ready to play in English football, has been offered to a number of mid-level clubs in the Premier League and here’s the surprise: he’s still only 25 (Daily Mail).
– Brendan Rodgers expects Jordon Ibe to play a key role in Liverpool’s first team this season, but says he has a long way to go before fulfilling his potential (Daily Mail).
– Manchester United will not sign Robert Lewandowski or Thomas Muller, claims former Red Markus Neaumayr (Daily Star).
– Lyon striker Alexandre Lacazette has insisted he does not want to join Arsenal or Manchester United after being linked with the Premier League duo (Daily Star).
– Joe Hart insists Manchester City are not just signing Englishmen for the sake of it (Daily Star).
– Inter Milan are expected to submit a bid for Chelsea’s Filipe Luís, rivalling Atletico Madrid who want to re-sign their former player (The Times).
– Chelsea are ready to sell £26.1m flop Juan Cuadrado – just six months after he arrived (The Independent).