BERAHINO SACKS STERLING AGENT
West Brom striker Saido Berahino has parted company with Aidy Ward, the agent attempting to get Raheem Sterling a move away from Liverpool.
The two players signed up with Ward when he set up on his own after leaving Impact Sports Management last season, but the Daily Mail reports Berahino has become disillusioned with Ward following Sterling’s attempts to leave Anfield.
Ward said: “I’m no longer working with Saido. You’ll have to ask him for the reasons. With Raheem, there has been a breakdown in trust between him and Brendan Rodgers.
Sterling, meanwhile, did not train with his Liverpool team-mates on Wednesday, citing illness, but The Sun claims the England forward has been warned he must go on the club’s pre-season tour despite asking to be omitted from the travelling party.
Manchester City sources claim they have ‘no immediate plans’ to meet Liverpool’s £50million asking price for Sterling, according to the tabloid.
SOLDADO SEEKING SPURS EXIT
Roberto Soldado has told the Tottenham hierarchy he is keen to leave the club this summer to play more regular football elsewhere, The Guardian reports.
Soldado has scored only three goals from open play in the Premier League since joining Spurs from Valencia in a £26million transfer two summers ago, and the 30-year-old has seen his chances at White Hart Lane restricted by the emergence of Harry Kane.
There has been interest in him from Spain, but Spurs will hold out for a decent fee, the newspaper adds, confident they can arrange a transfer.
They are said to be less hopeful, however, of offloading Emmanuel Adebayor, who has a year remaining on his £100,000-per-week contract and is not apparently not willing to move on unless it’s for a similar deal and/or to an elite club. Interest from clubs in Turkey has so far not persuaded the 31-year-old to leave north London.
Spurs will need to sign at least one new striker this summer but have made no contact with Aston Villa over Christian Benteke, according to The Guardian.
SOUTHAMPTON TURN TO VLAAR
Having missed out on the permanent signing of Toby Alderweireld to Tottenham, Southampton boss Ronald Koeman is ready to revive his interest in Ron Vlaar, claims the Daily Mirror.
Vlaar, without a club after his Aston Villa contract expired, was a target for Koeman last summer before he moved for Alderweireld instead, and the 30-year-old could now finally make the move to St Mary’s.
AND THE REST
– Southampton expect midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin, 25, to leave but will make Manchester United pay £27m for the France international (The Independent)
– Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel has held talks with Fenerbahce
– Chelsea will lend Brazilian recruits Kenedy and Nathan straight out on loan in a bid to fast-track their work permits (The Sun)
– Aston Villa expect Liverpool target Christian Benteke to report on Thursday for their pre-season training camp in Portugal (Daily Mirror)
– Premier League newcomers Bournemouth are closing in on the £6m signing of Saint-Etienne’s 27-year-old former Leeds and Leicester winger Max Gradel (Daily Mirror)
– Middlesbrough are chasing Espanyol striker Christian Stuani; the 28-year-old scored 15 goals last season and is valued at around £4m (Daily Mail)