Gossip: Chelsea finally give up on Stones

Date published: Friday 28th August 2015 8:28

CHELSEA GIVE UP ON STONES

Chelsea made one final bid for John Stones of £38million this week but now feel there is no more they can do to persuade Everton to sell him in this window, according to The Independent.

Everton chairman Bill Kenwright released a statement on Thursday to again insist Stones was not for sale, and Chelsea are now finally ready to consider alternative targets.

Stones wanted to move to Chelsea and believed he would be a regular starter this season, but the Daily Telegraph says Roberto Martinez held face-to-face talks with the England international on Thursday to inform him he will not be leaving Goodison Park.

The 21-year-old is temporarily living in a hotel after being ‘terrorised’ by Everton fans outside his home, according to The Sun – and Chelsea ‘have not made a final decision on who, if anyone, they will sign’ instead, The Independent adds.

SOURCES DISAGREE ON DE GEA FUTURE

For the second time this week, there are conflicting reports in the newspapers regarding the future of David de Gea.

The Daily Telegraph reports Manchester United have still had no contact from Real Madrid since rejecting an offer for the goalkeeper earlier in the summer and do not now anticipate a new bid will be submitted before the deadline, but the Daily Mirror says De Gea’s camp are increasingly confident of securing his move to the Bernabeu.

Someone has to be right.

SUNDERLAND CLOSE ON SIGNINGS

Napoli midfielder Jonathan De Guzman is ‘leaning towards’ a move to Sunderland, according to The Times, while The Sun claims the Black Cats are also closing in on the signing of Rennes striker Ola Toivonen as Dick Advocaat bids to strengthen enough to avoid another relegation battle.

De Guzman is also a target for Bournemouth, but the former Swansea star seemingly prefers a move to the North East.

AND THE REST

– Tottenham will push through the signing of Son Heung-min from Bayer Leverkusen today (Daily Mail)

– West Ham have stepped up their interest in AC Milan striker Alessandro Matri, who wants to evaluate offers from clubs over the next few days (The Times)

– West Brom are close to a deal for Manchester United defender Jonny Evans that would allow Joleon Lescott to join Aston Villa (The Times)

– Galatasaray believe they have beaten Marseille to the loan signing of Manchester City defender Jason Denayer (The Times)

– Norwich want £8million for Bournemouth target Lewis Grabban (The Sun)

– West Brom striker Victor Anichebe is in talks with Derby over a £3million move (The Sun)

– Watford and Brighton are competing for the signature of Feyenoord’s Elvis Manu and have both had offers of £1.5million accepted (The Guardian)

Related Articles

Your Say

Comments are closed here.