HERNANDEZ SET FOR GERMANY
Louis van Gaal has informed Javier Hernandez he can leave Manchester United before the transfer window closes, the Sunday Telegraph reports, with Bayer Leverkusen emerging as favourites to sign the 27-year-old.
United have already lost Robin van Persie and last season’s loanee Radamel Falcao from their striker pool this summer, but the penalty Hernandez missed against Club Brugge in midweek was apparently the final straw for Van Gaal, whose reaction said it all…
– UtdVines (@UtdVines)
August 26, 2015
United have been offered the chance to sign former AC Milan striker Alexandre Pato from Corinthians but are unlikely to do so – and the club do not expect to make an unexpected late striker signing, according to the Telegraph.
Van Gaal’s priority is to sign a right-sided forward, the Mail on Sunday adds, with another bid for Southampton’s Sadio Mane possible before the deadline.
The Sunday Star, incidentally, takes a completely different line, claiming United knocked back an approach from Tottenham for Hernandez, insisting they cannot sell another striker unless they sign one first.
DE GEA ALSO LEAVING
The newspapers were at odds last week over the chances of David de Gea joining Real Madrid before the deadline, but The Independent on Sunday quote sources in Spain and Manchester as saying a £29million deal is likely to be completed on Sunday.
The newspaper says United officials are in the Spanish capital to negotiate a move and had tried to get Gareth Bale in return, but Real are said to have no interest in selling a player that scored twice on Saturday evening.
United are unlikely to make any other outfield signings during this window, The Independent adds, but are hopeful of securing the signing of Ajax’s Jasper Cillessen as De Gea’s replacement.
SPURS REFUSE TO GIVE UP ON SAIDO
Saido Berahino has not given up hope of completing a move to Tottenham before Tuesday’s transfer deadline, according to the Sunday Telegraph.
West Brom have rejected two bids from Spurs and also turned down a transfer request from the England Under-21 forward, but an offer of £25million could yet tempt Albion into selling.
Spurs, meanwhile, expect to offload Emmanuel Adebayor, Aaron Lennon and Federico Fazio before the deadline and, in addition to a striker, are also said to be trying to sign a new central midfielder.
Having seen interest in Sven Bender and Victor Wanyama repelled by Borussia Dortmund and Southampton, the Telegraph claims the north Londoners are now showing an interest in Zenit Saint Petersburg’s Axel Witsel, who is also a long-term target of Juventus.
AND THE REST
– Chelsea have begun moves to sign either Zenit St Petersburg defender Ezequiel Garay or Aymen Abdennour of Monaco (Independent on Sunday)
– Tottenham are considering a move for one-time Brazilian wonder-kid Alexandre Pato (Independent on Sunday)
– Paris St Germain have offered Dutch international Gregory Van der Wiel to Everton in a £20million part-exchange deal for Seamus Coleman (Sunday People)
– Celtic defender Virgil van Dijk is set to join Southampton in an £11.5m deal (Sunday People)
– Leicester are making an audacious bid to land Bayern Munich and Brazil defender Dante (Sunday People)
– Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal is resisting a late move for Bayern Munich centre-back Dante because he has concerns about Brazilian players fitting in with his philosophy (Mail on Sunday)
– West Ham United are considering a late move for Hull City striker Nikica Jelavic (Mail on Sunday.