SPURS SWITCH TO YOUNG…
Tottenham are considering an approach for Manchester United winger Ashley Young, according to the Daily Mirror, after being deterred by Crystal Palace’s £25million valuation of Yannick Bolasie.
Eagles boss Alan Pardew claimed last season the DR Congo flyer was worth between £40million and £60million, and while the club’s hierarchy are willing to accept rather less than that, their hard-ball approach has seemingly left Spurs looking at alternative options.
Young has a year left on his current contract at United but said last week that “preliminary talks” over a new one had taken place and that he hoped to remain at Old Trafford, where he is reported to be on around £110,000 a week.
That figure would almost certainly be out of Spurs’ reach, but the 30-year-old would be available for a significantly smaller transfer fee than Bolasie, which could prove attractive.
AND TARGET HERNANDEZ AND McCARTHY
With Emmanuel Adebayor on the verge of leaving White Hart Lane to join Aston Villa on a season-long loan, the Mirror says ‘prising long-term target Javier Hernandez away from Manchester United will then be back on the agenda for Spurs’.
Louis van Gaal has hinted Hernandez has a role to play for the Red Devils this season with Robin van Persie and Radamel Falcao having departed, but the tabloid reckons the Mexican’s future remains uncertain.
The same newspaper claims Spurs will also this week open talks with Everton over the possible signing of James McCarthy.
Roberto Martinez is keen to hold on to McCarthy, but apparent broken promises over his contract are said to have left the midfielder keen on a move to White Hart Lane.
BERBATOV SET FOR VILLA
Aston Villa boss Tim Sherwood is seemingly not certain Emmanuel Adebayor can replace Christian Benteke – for he is also set to sign Dimitar Berbatov, according to the Daily Express.
The former Manchester United striker is said to have been recommended to Sherwood by Stiliyan Petrov, who reckons his friend and old Bulgaria team-mate is good enough for another season in the Premier League.
A source is claimed to have told the Express regarding the 34-year-old: “Stiliyan knows him very well. He knows that Berbatov is still a top-class striker and he believes he can be the right man for Villa.”
AND THE REST
– Villarreal want to sign Tottenham flop Roberto Soldado – but a deal is some way off (The Sun)
– Tottenham central defender Vlad Chiriches, 25, is close to completing a £4.5m move to Italian side Napoli (Daily Telegraph)
– Chelsea midfielder Mohamed Salah, 23, is set to complete a loan move to Italian side Roma (Daily Mail)
– West Ham are preparing a £12million move for Fenerbahce striker Moussa Sow (Daily Express)
– West Ham have enquired about Caen midfielder N’Golo Kante (Daily Mail)
– Kevin De Bruyne will have to hand in a transfer request at Wolfsburg if he wants to secure a move to Manchester City (Daily Star)
– Valencia are offering Alvaro Negredo to Premier League sides as they try and cut their losses on him (Daily Mirror)
– Leicester have made a rival offer for Jordan Veretout who is discussing an £8million move to Aston Villa from Nantes (Daily Mail)
– West Brom are closing in on Hull defender James Chester (The Sun)
– Swansea are adamant that Ashley Williams is going nowhere as Crystal Palace have been told not to bother with a £10m bid (Daily Star)
– Unsettled Newcastle skipper Fabricio Coloccini is a target for Olympiakos (Daily Mirror)
– Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe is on the verge of making Saint-Etienne wide-man Max Gradel his seventh summer signing (Daily Star)
– Swansea, Hull and Nottingham Forest are chasing £1m-rated Southend goalkeeper Daniel Bentley (Daily Mirror)