UNITED STEP UP MULLER CHASE
The Daily Star are reporting that Manchester United are ready to step up their efforts to sign Bayern Munich forward Thomas Muller.
Muller, who is likely to command a fee of around £60million, is being tipped to replace Turkey-bound Robin van Persie in United’s squad as Louis van Gaal looks to freshen up his attacking options at Old Trafford.
If, as expected, van Persie leaves for Fenerbahce, LVG will be left with Wayne Rooney, Javier Hernandez and James Wilson as his striking options, although new boy Memphis Depay can also play down the middle if required.
There is no doubt, however, that World Cup winner Muller, 25, would significantly improve United’s attacking options as they prepare for a return to the Champions League and a Premier League title tilt in 2015-16.
SPURS WANT £15M FOR TOWNSEND
Aston Villa and Sunderland are interested in Andros Townsend but Tottenham want £15million for the winger, according to the Daily Mail.
Townsend, so good for England but a complete enigma in a Spurs shirt, could leave White Hart Lane this summer as Mauricio Pochettino looks to revamp his squad ahead of the start of the new season.
Villa boss Tim Sherwood is seemingly confident that he can bring out the best in his former charge, while Sunderland chief Dick Advocaat is looking to strengthen a squad that came mightily close to dropping out of the Premier League last season.
Townsend, however, is probably not the sort of player for a relegation scrap so unless both clubs show a marked improvement on last season the 23-year-old could prove to be quite a gamble – especially at the Daniel Levy premium!
UNITED SET EVANS PRICE
The Daily Mirror is claiming that Manchester United want £10million for West Brom target Jonny Evans.
The 27-year-old is some way down the pecking order of central defenders at Old Trafford and with Louis van Gaal actively looking to strengthen that area of the team, Sergio Ramos remains a target, Evans’ days appear to be numbered.
West Brom boss Tony Pulis is certainly an admirer of Evans, while Everton and Sunderland have also been linked with a summer swoop for the Northern Ireland star, but is he really worth £10million?
AND THE REST
– Chelsea are poised to complete the signing of Stoke keeper Asmir Begovic for £8m plus Blues midfielder Marco van Ginkel on a year’s loan (Daily Mirror).
– QPR have told striker Charlie Austin, who has been linked with Newcastle, Crystal Palace, Aston Villa, West Brom and Leicester, that he will have to stay at relegated QPR unless someone meets their £15m asking price (Daily Mirror).
– Didier Drogba is on course to follow Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard to the MLS (Daily Mirror).
– Steve McClaren has insisted new employers Newcastle are ready to spend big on three top class players – with a deal for Georginio Wijnaldum close (Daily Mirror).
– West Brom are ready to step up their interest in Queens Park Rangers defender Steven Caulker (Daily Mirror).
– Swansea are trying to sign Wales international midfielder Hal Robson-Kanu but are refusing to meet Reading’s £4million valuation (Daily Mirror).
– Manchester City are set to make Liverpool a third and this time genuinely final bid of £40m for Raheem Sterling (Daily Mirror).
– Louis van Gaal wants to leave David de Gea and Robin van Persie behind when Manchester United leave for their pre-season tour of the USA. Van Gaal is keen for deals to sell both players to be concluded before he and his squad jet off on Monday (Daily Mirror).
– Robin van Persie will quit Manchester United because he feels “betrayed” by manager Louis van Gaal (The Sun).
– Former England defender Jonathan Woodgate looks set to retire and is in talks with Middlesbrough over a coaching role (The Sun).
– Federico Fazio looks set to be kicked out of Tottenham – less than a year after signing (The Sun).
– Newcastle boss Steve McClaren is plotting a £50million transfer spree (The Sun)
– Stoke are in talks with Udinese midfield destroyer Emmanuel Agyemang-Badu (The Sun).
– Steve McClaren insists Newcastle are no longer shopping in the bargain basement as he strives to bring in five £10m-plus players (Daily Star).
– Sevilla have enquired about Manchester United striker Javier Hernandez (Daily Mail).
– Southampton made a late attempt to sign Angelo Ogbonna from Juventus on Wednesday night but the defender is due to have his medical at West Ham on Friday before signing (Daily Mail).
– Chelsea have offered midfielder Marco van Ginkel to Stoke in a bid to finally land Asmir Begovic (Daily Mail).
– Newcastle have been encouraged in their £12million pursuit of Anderlecht striker Aleksandar Mitrovic after Roma and Porto stalled on proposed deals (Daily Mail).
– Crystal Palace have offered defender Scott Dann a new contract worth £65,000-a-week (Daily Express).
– Robin van Persie will earn around £30m after agreeing a three-year contract with Fenerbahce – with an option for a fourth season – that matches the £200,000-a-week salary he is on at Manchester United (Daily Express).
– Jordan Henderson is set to be officially named as the new captain of Liverpool following Steven Gerrard’s exit after 12 years as the Reds skipper (The Independent).
– Crystal Palace want to sign QPR striker Charlie Austin – their initial bid will be £6m plus two players (The Guardian).