Manchester United are planning to overhaul their transfer strategy for future windows, while Tottenham could make a new move for Victor Wanyama in January.
UNITED TO CHANGE TRANSFER STRATEGY
Manchester United are to change their transfer strategy for future windows by adopting a ‘less is more approach’ to player recruitment, reports the Daily Telegraph.
United spent over £100million on six new signings over the summer, adding to the seven Louis van Gaal signed in his first year in charge, but the club were unable to recruit the sort of marquee player they had targeted after pursuits of Gareth Bale, Neymar and Thomas Muller came to nothing.
Both Van Gaal and senior United chiefs are said to nevertheless view their summer spending spree as a success, but the club are apparently now ‘determined to focus on high-end individual signings’, with Van Gaal now said to be happy with the depth of his squad.
‘There is an acceptance that stability within the playing squad is required and that the way forward requires an evolution of the club’s transfer strategy that will see quality alone, rather than combined with quantity, become the cornerstone of recruitment,’ adds the newspaper.
DE GEA BLAMES UNITED FOR REAL MOVE COLLAPSE
David de Gea is blaming Manchester United for the collapse of his move to Real Madrid, claims The Sun.
While United insisted Real were at fault, De Gea is apparently ‘pointing the finger at Louis van Gaal and the Old Trafford hierarchy for leaving him in limbo’. Furthermore, friends of the Spain goalkeeper are said to have branded United’s conduct as “catastrophic” and “unbelievable”.
Whatever the true story regarding the failed transfer, the Daily Star claims it has blown United’s chances of signing players from Real in the future. A ‘senior source’ is quoted as saying: “I don’t think they will be too keen to do business with us again”.
With De Gea now into the last year of his contract at Old Trafford, the Daily Mirror says he will be offered a new deal next month as United make one final attempt to secure his future. However, the tabloid adds the club do not expect him to sign.
WANYAMA SET TO REJECT SOUTHAMPTON DEAL
Southampton are set to offer Victor Wanyama a new five-year contract after blocking his move to Tottenham on Monday, reports the Daily Mail.
Wanyama, however, is unlikely to pen an extension and would prefer to see out the season at St Mary’s and then ‘take stock of his situation’ next summer.
Spurs’ last offer for Wanyama is said to have been worth £18million plus Erik Lamela on loan, and the White Hart Lane club could even make another move for the midfielder in January, according to both the Mail and Daily Mirror.