UNITED CONSIDER LLORENTE MOVE
Louis van Gaal has hinted that the “surprise” he has promised may not be a new striker, but the Daily Mirror’s back page claims the Manchester United boss could move for Fernando Llorente.
The Red Devils have been offered the Juventus striker for £10million, according to the newspaper, and have apparently asked to be “kept informed” of the 30-year-old’s situation.
Thomas Muller is another forward to have been linked with a move to Old Trafford, and the Daily Star claims United are considering an improved offer of around £60million having seen an opening bid of £50million rejected by Bayern Munich.
DI MARIA COULD LEAVE BEFORE WEEKEND
The latest speculation comes amid widespread reports in Wednesday’s newspapers that Paris Saint-Germain officials have held face-to-face talks with their United counterparts in the hope of completing a deal to sign Angel Di Maria this week to avoid the Argentina winger having to join the Red Devils in America.
Di Maria’s exit now looks almost certain, but the fee continues to be the source of much debate, with the Daily Star speculating PSG are willing to spend only £40million, the Daily Mirror reporting a likely £45million deal, and The Times claiming the French champions have proposed an initial fee of £42million that could rise to £50million, which is widely accepted to be the minimum United will accept for a player they paid almost £60million for 12 months ago.
MARTINEZ FAILS TO CONVINCE McCARTHY
Everton boss Roberto Martinez has met with James McCarthy over his future, according to the Daily Mail, amid continued interest from Tottenham.
The midfielder, however, is said to be set on leaving Goodison Park after the Toffees failed to fulfil certain contractual promises he was made when joining the club in 2013. Spurs could offer cash plus Aaron Lennon in an attempt to convince Everton to sell, the Mail adds.
Both The Times and Daily Mail, meanwhile, report Tottenham’s interest in Lyon striker Clinton Nije and Stuttgart striker Timo Werner, while The Times and Telegraph say Galatasaray have joined Fiorentina in expressing an interest in Vlad Chiriches, who Spurs hope to sell this summer.
AND THE REST
– Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers is considering a move for Paris Saint-Germain left-back Lucas Digne (Daily Star)
– There is interest from West Brom in Rickie Lambert, while West Ham have indicated they want to sign Fabio Borini, but there has been no formal offer from either club (Independent)
– West Brom are expected to hold talks with Rickie Lambert today in the hope of persuading the striker to move on loan from Liverpool (The Times)
– Roma want to sign Wojciech Szczesny on loan from Arsenal (The Times/Daily Telegraph/Daily Mirror/The Sun)
– Argentina goalkeeper Sergio Romero is discussing a three-year contract with Manchester United and hopes to finalise terms this week (Daily Mail)
– West Ham are expected to sign Al Jazira Club attacking midfielder Manuel Lanzini on loan (The Times/Daily Mirror)
– Slaven Bilic is considering signing midfielder Veli Kavlak from his former club Besiktas (The Times)
– Newcastle have enquired about Feyenoord winger Jean-Paul Boetius (Daily Mail)
– Watford are expected to sign Napoli defender Miguel Britos, 30, and Spartak Moscow midfielder Manuel Jurado, 29, in the next 24 hours (Daily Mail)
– Swansea have rejected a £6million offer from Al Ahli for striker Bafetimbi Gomis (Daily Mail)
– Swansea are adamant Ashley Williams is going nowhere, despite their skipper continuing to be linked with a move to Crystal Palace (Daily Star)
– Tottenham whizzkid Josh Onomah has signed a new contract after snubbing the chance to go to Manchester City (Daily Mirror)
– Hull City striker Abel Hernandez has attracted interest from Napoli (The Times)