Gunners boss Wenger reveals Bellerin intentions

Date published: Thursday 13th October 2016 9:57

Hector Bellerin: Will be offered a new deal

Hector Bellerin: Will be offered a new deal

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger says the club will “try to extend” the contract of Spanish full-back Hector Bellerin.

The 21-year-old has become a regular at right-back for Wenger after enduring a “nightmare debut against Borussia Dortmund in 2014.

The former Barcelona youth player left the Camp Nou as a youngster and signed his first professional contract with the Gunners in the summer of 2013, but such has been his rapid progress that the Catalan giants have been heavily linked with a move for the defender.

Wenger however is adamant that the club will do all they can to keep Bellerin, who has made nine appearances for the club so far this season.

“He has nearly three years to go, we always try to get the players to the [financial] level where we think they deserve to be.” said Wenger at Thursday’s press conference.

“We will try to extend his contract, his long-term future is here.

“He has been absolutely fantastic. His first game was a nightmare. The season before he was at Watford where he didn’t play. His progress has been brilliant because he has absolutely top mental strength.

“He is at a team that meets his needs and values. He came at a very young age. He is an Arsenal player.”

Then 19, Bellerin was thrown into the deep end against the German club Dortmund in the Champions League group stages and Arsenal slumped to a 2-0 defeat.

Bellerin, who was linked with a move to Man City in the summer, looked out of his depth at Signal Iduna Park but he has since come on in leaps and bounds, so much so that Barca are believed to have him as one of their top transfer targets.

Barcelona’s vice president Jordi Mestre recently hailed his talents.

“We’ve already seen him as a Cule!” he told Spanish newspaper Sport. “He’s a great player, there’s no doubt about that.

“Wenger convinced him to move and promised him something which we couldn’t.

“We could not promise him that within two years he would be playing in Dani Alves’ place.”

Wenger also revealed that Olivier Giroud (toe) and Aaron Ramsey (hamstring) will not be available to face Swansea on Saturday.

“Giroud will not be available. Ramsey will not be available. Coquelin is back. Apparently we have good news [from international players].”

Asked about Carl Jenkinson, Wenger added: “He will be back tonight playing with the Under-23s. He is available to compete for places”

The Gunners host Swansea at The Emirates in what will be Bob Bradley’s first game in charge of the south Wales side.

“Bradley has a big experience, he is not a beginner. He has travelled a lot.

“This is certainly for him a fantastic opportunity for him and the Premier League. He is equipped to deal with what is requested of him.

“Last year we had a very negative experience with Swansea that killed our chance to win the championship.

“We have to re-focus because all the players have been away. We have to show we can deal with being favourites, we didn’t always do it last season,” added Wenger.

Related Articles

Your Say