Gutierrez ‘to sue Newcastle over disability discrimination’

Date published: Wednesday 14th October 2015 9:02

Jonas Gutierrez: Claiming loss of earnings at Newcastle

Jonas Gutierrez: Claiming loss of earnings at Newcastle

Newcastle United are reportedly being sued for £2million by Jonas Gutierrez for the way they treated him after his cancer battle.

The back page of The Sun claims that the Argentine is ‘claiming disability discrimination’ by the club, who released him this summer after his recovery from testicular cancer.

Gutierrez returned to the Newcastle side at the end of last season to help Newcastle stay in the Premier League but was then told – at the same time as Ryan Taylor, during a telephone conversation – that his services were no longer required after seven years at the club.

“The fact Newcastle did not offer me a new contract could have been interpreted as though I was not well,” says Gutierrez, who made his debut for Deportivo la Coruna earlier this month.

Gutierrez is allegedly suing under the Equality Act 2010, which makes it unlawful to discriminate against workers because of mental or physical disability, and considers diagnosis of cancer a disability.

The Newcastle Your Say page is back. Join the debate here.

Related Articles

Your Say


Comments are closed here.