Inter Milan have stepped away from a deal to sign Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge.
Although not totally ruling out a move for Sturridge, Inter have cooled their interest in the 28-year-old forward, who was not in the 18-man squad for yestetday’s FA Cup tie with West Brom.
Sturridge had been linked with Inter and on Saturday reports in Italy claimed Inter had agreed a €2million (£1.75m) loan fee, along with with a €28.5million (£25m agreement to sign the England man in the summer.
That report has quickly proved inaccurate with Inter sporting director Piero Ausilio today claiming a deal was unlikely.
“Sturridge? I don’t exclude anything, but we made our evaluations,” Ausilio told Mediaset Premium. “We already have players for that role.
“If there are opportunities in the future then we could have some movement.”
It appears Inter have switched targets to PSG star Javier Pastore, who is on the lookout for a return to Serie A, an who was also linked with Liverpool.
“Of course, we are pleased and proud that a player like Pastore sees Inter as an opportunity,” added Ausilio.
“I can confirm there has always been a certain ‘feeling’ between Inter and Pastore. That said, there’s still a lot to evaluate between us and his club Paris Saint-Germain. When we pick a player, we pick him because we’re convinced about his importance for our project.”
The news will be a blow to Liverpool, who were chasing £30million for Sturridge, and who have reportedly dropped the loan fee from £5million.
The Liverpool Echo claim Sturridge “would in any case prefer a move to Sevilla”, however no other offers have been forthcoming for Sturridge.