Hazard coy on future of ‘big striker’ Lukaku

Date published: Tuesday 21st June 2016 10:46


Chelsea star Eden Hazard has refused to be drawn on speculation linking Romelu Lukaku with a return to Stamford Bridge.

The Everton striker looks set to move on this summer and he has said he has “made up his mind” on his future after revealing the last few months at Goodison Park had been “difficult”.

The 23-year-old has been linked with a move back to Chelsea, where he left in July 2014, while earlier this month the Corriere dello Sport claimed the Belgian forward was on Juventus’ wish list

Wherever the Belgium forward’s future lies and Arsenal are the latest club believed to be interested, there is no doubt he will be in-demand at the conclusion of the European Championships next month when his future will be resolved.

His Belgium team-mate Hazard gave nothing away though when he was asked whether Lukaku could be rejoining the capital club.

Hazard told Sky Sports: “I don’t know, I don’t want to talk about this. But Romelu is a big striker, he’s a good guy and a good friend of mine.

“It’s always good to play with the best in the world.”

Romelu Lukaku

Lukaku, who scored twice in Belgium’s 3-0 win over the Republic of Ireland on Saturday, is contracted at Everton until 2019.

Prior to the clash against the Republic Lukaku had come in for criticism for a lack of movement, but Hazard says the forward is “mentally strong”.

“For a striker it’s great confidence to score goals. Lukaku showed how good he is.

“When a striker doesn’t score, he tends to get criticism, but he can take it. He is mentally strong and I am sure he will be difference for us in each game, I hope,” added Hazard.

The former Anderlecht forward has scored 61 goals in 127 matches for the Toffees after joining the club permanently for £28million.

Related Articles

Your Say