Gonzalo Higuain has told Napoli to “remain calm” after informing the club president Aurelio De Laurentiis that he wants to stay with the Serie A club.
The 28-year-old striker has attracted interest from some of the biggest clubs in Europe following his record-breaking season for Napoli. The Argentine scored 36 goals in 35 Serie A appearances, breaking the league’s long-standing goalscoring record as the Naples club finished second and claimed a place in the Champions League.
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp was pictured with the agent and brother of Higuain at the Copa America earlier this month, prompting talk of a move to Anfield.
Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Paris Saint-Germain and Atletico Madrid have also reportedly registered their interest in the former Real Madrid frontman, but the player himself, who scored twice against Venezuela in Copa America Centario with Argentina on Saturday, has cooled the transfer talk.
“All those people in Naples must remain calm,” Higuain is quoted as saying in the Daily Express.
“I’m calm, but now I’m just thinking about the national team. We’re just one step away from the final.”
And Napoli chief De Laurentiis claims the prolific forward has reassured him that his future is with the Serie A side.
“If his words are sincere then Higuain will play in Naples for at least another five years,” De Laurentiis told Radio Kiss Kiss.
“I am willing to extend his contract, I appreciate him both as a player and a person. I would like him to stay in Naples forever.
“He is one of a kind, he plays for the pleasure of scoring goals which is what makes every genuine and self-respecting attacker.”
The striker has a huge £74million release clause written into his contract, although that will reportedly be lowered if he agrees to a contract extension.
Last week reports suggested Napoli were preparing a new deal for Higuain with Rai Sport claiming they were ready to offer a new three-year deal worth £110,000-a-week.