Hodgson queries England wait

Date published: Monday 27th July 2015 6:38

Alan Pardew: Unable to stop Leicester

Hodgson’s contract runs out next July and new FA chief executive Martin Glenn has said that no extension will be offered until after the tournament in France.

Glenn described the 67-year-old manager as “comfortable” with the plan but, speaking after the World Cup qualifying draw in St Petersburg at the weekend, Hodgson was adamant that he wanted to continue and suggested that speculation about his future could prove a distraction ahead of the European Championship finals.

“I don’t quite know what the situation is,” said Hodgson. “I haven’t spoken to Martin yet.

“Am I happy with it? I don’t know. There are a lot of considerations.

“It means there will be lots of speculation the moment we qualify, until the tournament itself. Whether that is the right thing, I don’t know.

“I do understand also there have been incidences in the past where people’s contracts have been renewed and then it has gone badly in a tournament and, as a result, the FA have found themselves with someone they no longer wanted. So I understand both positions really.

“The Euro 2016 (arrangement) suits me perfectly well at the moment. In answer to the question ‘would you like to continue working with this team?’, I suppose the answer has got to be ‘yes’.

“It is a wonderful job and, if the FA want me to continue with it, I would be happy to do so. I am still young enough.

“I haven’t spoken to Martin and (I don’t know) where he made these comments but no doubt it will be explained to me.”

Glenn told The Times last week: “I’ve not had a discussion with him (Hodgson) about his contract and he understands that where we’ve been in the past, which is offering long-term contracts regardless of performance, isn’t where we want to be.

“Roy knows the philosophy and has never raised it personally with me. I think he’s very comfortable.”

Related Articles

Your Say


Leave a Reply