Huddersfield, Leeds charged by FA after ugly derby scenes

Date published: Tuesday 7th February 2017 4:14

David Wagner: Huddersfield manager sent off

Huddersfield and Leeds have been charged with failing to control their players by the FA following the touchline melee which marred Sunday’s Championship derby clash.

Terriers head coach David Wagner has been charged with two counts of improper conduct and Leeds counterpart Garry Monk with one charge of improper conduct.

Both Wagner and Monk were sent to the stands for sparking the bust-up towards the end of Huddersfield’s 2-1 win at the John Smith’s Stadium.


An FA statement read: “Huddersfield Town and Leeds United have been charged following their game on February 5, 2017.

“It is alleged that in or around the 89th minute of the fixture, the two clubs failed to ensure their players and/or officials conducted themselves in an orderly fashion and/or refrained from provocative behaviour, contrary to FA Rule E20(a).

“Both managers have also been charged in relation to the same game.

“Huddersfield’s David Wagner is subject to two alleged breaches of FA Rule E3 in that in or around the 89th minute, his behaviour in entering the field of play amounted to improper conduct. It is further alleged his behaviour upon his return to the vicinity of the technical area amounted to improper conduct.

“It is alleged that Leeds’ Gary Monk breached FA Rule E3 in that in or around the 89th minute, his behaviour amounted to improper conduct.

“All parties have until 6pm on February 10 2017 to respond to the charges.”

Tempers flared when Huddersfield defender Michael Hefele turned home a last-minute winner.

Monk took exception to Wagner’s celebratory charge down the touchline after Hefele had secured Huddersfield’s victory against their promotion rivals.

As Wagner walked back to the home dugout through Monk’s technical area, the Leeds boss appeared to barge into the German, prompting a touchline brawl between opposing players and coaching staff.

When referee Simon Hooper had restored order both Wagner and Monk were sent to the stands while Leeds pair Liam Bridcutt and Pontus Jansson, plus Huddersfield forward Elias Kachunga, were booked.

Monk headed straight down the tunnel after being given his marching orders, while Wagner sat behind his coaching staff in the stand and later went back on to the pitch to congratulate his players after the final whistle.

Wagner apologised for his part in the brawl after the game, admitting emotions had got the better of him.

“For me, celebrating with my players is not disrespectful but perhaps it is in British football culture,” Wagner said. “This culture is different in Germany.

“This game is very emotional for me and my staff. I am sorry and I apologise for what happened afterwards.”

Monk, who served a one-match ban in September after being sent off towards the end of Leeds’ 1-0 defeat at Bristol City, also regretted what happened at the end of the game and said: “I hold myself in a certain way and I have humility and respect.”

Related Articles