Hughes: Stoke won’t budge on Walters contract offer

Date published: Friday 25th September 2015 5:01

Jon Walters: Remains committed to Stoke despite doubts over his future

Jon Walters: Remains committed to Stoke despite doubts over his future

Mark Hughes has praised the attitude of Jon Walters but says Stoke City remain unwilling to offer him the three-year contract the wants.

Walters, out of contract at the end of the season, was a target for Norwich, Leicester City and West Brom in the summer transfer window after submitting a transfer request because of the club’s refusal to offer him an extension beyond the end of the 2016-17 campaign.

The Ireland international made a scoring return to the Stoke team against Leicester last weekend, however, and is expected to keep his place in attack for Saturday’s game against Bournemouth.

Hughes was full of praise for Walters at his press conference on Friday but admitted there had been no developments in the 32-year-old’s contract saga.

He said: “I don’t think there have been any further conversations on that subject, Jon has just been training very, very well and played exceptionally well last week, I was really pleased with his performance.

“I think he’s just happy playing, training and carrying on with his job as you would imagine.

“I’m sure that the offer that was there for Jon remains on the table, it’s available, but it was always about the third year really. We haven’t been able to move from that position on both sides really.

“It is what it is, but the key thing is that Jon is training well and putting his hand up and playing well when selected. We’re grateful for that.”

 

Related Articles

Your Say

Comments are closed here.