Improving Tottenham starting XI ‘almost impossible’, says ex-Spurs director

Date published: Wednesday 2nd August 2017 1:04

Mauricio Pochettino faces an “almost impossible” task of improving his current Spurs starting XI, according to the club’s former director of football Damien Comolli.

It has been a quiet transfer window so far for Pochettino, with the only confirmed movement involving Kyle Walker’s £53million move to Man City earlier in the summer.

Despite having no confirmed in-comings, it has also been a quiet time on the rumour front too, with Ross Barkley the only prolonged touted name linked with the north London club.

Comolli spoke of his sympathy for Pochettino and club Chairman Daniel Levy, and notes how they would need to part with huge fees to be able to find players, good enough to replace a current member of the starting XI.

“I think Tottenham deserve so much respect for what they’ve achieved,” Comolli told talkSPORT.

“Daniel Levy and Mauricio Pochettino are working with less money than everybody else and working on a lot smaller wage bill than any of the Premier League’s top five – we need to give them some credit.

“I’m sure they know exactly where they’re going [in the transfer market].”

He added: “So to reinforce that team with players who are as good or better than those players, and as young too, it’s almost an impossible task.

“They’re probably looking for young and up-and-coming players to come an compliment that team, probably two or three and I’m sure they’ll achieve that in the end.”

Comolli spent three years as a director at the club between 2005 and 2008, but was sacked shortly before Harry Redknapp was appointed as manager.

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM

Comments