Koeman: More to Everton job than spending £100m

Date published: Wednesday 15th June 2016 4:36

Ronald Koeman: Signs deal at Goodison to 2019

Ronald Koeman: Signed a deal at Goodison to 2019

New Everton manager Ronald Koeman may have a huge transfer budget at his disposal but insists that will not be the key to success at Goodison Park.

The Dutchman is understood to have been promised funds of about £100million – plus anything he generates from sales – to get the Toffees back on track after two disappointing seasons under Roberto Martinez.

Despite that being the biggest sum ever given to an Everton manager, Koeman believes it will not be the sole solution to all their problems.

“Of course, we have a budget to make the team strong but we will do this with all the people who are at Everton,” he told everton.tv.

“You can’t do it by yourself, you need everybody pulling in the same direction – the fans, the players, the board, the staff – to get a very good family feeling and to reach something special.”

Koeman’s long-anticipated arrival was finally concluded on Tuesday and although the 53-year-old is at a new club he remains on familiar territory having managed Southampton for two years.

“First of all it’s nice to be part of the Premier League because it’s the strongest competition in Europe,” he added.

“It’s a competition, which as we saw last year, is very unpredictable.

“It’s also a great chance to become the manager of a club like Everton, a club that has a big history and that has really good players.

“I am looking forward to next season and the support of the fans for the players.

“We will do everything to have a really good season and if there is a really good understanding between the players and the fans then we can do something really nice for next season.”

 

Defender Leighton Baines admits Koeman’s appointment was the one “everyone was hoping for”.

The players have had to wait over a month to discover the identity of their new boss, playing the final match of last season under the charge of under-21 coach David Unsworth after Roberto Martinez was sacked.

“It’s what we’ve all been waiting for and anticipating,” Baines told everton.tv.

“It’s been really well received and it’s the appointment everyone was hoping for.

“It’s an interesting summer for this football club and the appointment of a new manager means everyone can start to look forward to what’s to come.

“His reputation speaks for itself. As a player he was obviously top drawer and he’s on that path now as a manager as well.

“He did a fantastic job – in what was a difficult job – at Southampton with the players they lost and that’s why I think our chairman (Bill Kenwright) and Mr Moshiri (Everton’s majority shareholder Farhad) were so focused on making him the man.

“We are just delighted that he is in now and are all looking forward to working with him.”

Related Articles

Your Say

teamtalk323