Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany has vowed to support the victims of Monday’s terrorist attack and praised the city’s resilience.
The defender hailed the emergency services after a suicide bomber killed 22 people and wounded 59 at Manchester Arena after an Ariana Grande concert.
It comes after team-mate Yaya Toure and his agent Dimitri Seluk pledged to donate £100,000 to help the victims.
“We are all shocked and devastated by this attack on the city of Manchester,” said Kompany on a video released on the club’s Twitter account.
“We stand shoulder to shoulder with all the families of the victims and to all those who have been hurt by these events.
“Nevertheless, the true spirit of Manchester has been able to shine through with the relentless efforts of our amazing emergency services. This is a testimony to the character of this city and the way of life we are prepared to defend.
“No words will ever comfort the families who have lost loved ones but on behalf of Manchester City, myself and my family, I would like to say we stand with you and we will do everything we can to help.”
Chelsea have cancelled their Premier League title victory parade, which had been due to take place in London on Sunday, with Arsenal also pulling a planned screening at the Emirates Stadium of Saturday’s FA Cup final against the Blues.
There will also be no victory parade from the Gunners if they win.
The world of sport has reacted to the terrorist attack with shock and sympathy, with the primary response from clubs, governing bodies and venues to promise increased security at major events.
Manchester United held a minute’s silence at their last training session before travelling to Stockholm for Wednesday’s Europa League final against Ajax.
UEFA announced a minute’s silence would be observed ahead of the final, while the opening ceremony would be reduced as a mark of respect.
Phil Neville distraught
Former United defender Phil Neville is working in Stockholm ahead of the final and admitted he did not want to be in Sweden after trying to help his home city from abroad.
He told BBC Radio 5 live: “I got a call three weeks ago to say I would be working on this game and it was like Christmas Day for me going watching and covering Manchester United on a European night. But from the minute what happened in Manchester, I actually don’t want to be at this game tonight, I really don’t.
“I actually would prefer to be in Manchester and try to help support in Manchester. I saw there was a shortage of food at the hospital, I rang the hotel that I was part owner in and said, ‘Can we get some food down there?’
“It was in Manchester Children’s Hospital, the hospital that I was part of the fundraising committee to try and build that hospital. It’s part of my life, it’s probably the best thing that I’ve ever done, me and my wife, trying to raise money for that hospital.”
Fans at football’s FA Cup final, Scottish Cup final and two English Football League play-off finals, as well as rugby union’s Aviva Premiership decider at Twickenham, can expect to see more armed police and face longer checks.
Premiership Rugby has told Press Association Sport there will be a minute’s silence ahead of Saturday’s final between Exeter and Wasps at Twickenham and it is widely expected there will be similar acts of remembrance before the football finals.
South West Police said their plans for the Champions League final in Cardiff on June 3 have not changed significantly because they were already prepared for a terrorist threat.
The International Cricket Council said safety was its highest priority as it prepared for this summer’s Champions Trophy and Women’s World Cup.
Speaking ahead of his team’s first one-day international against England at Headingley on Wednesday, South Africa’s team manager Dr Mohammed Moosajee said his players had “genuine concerns” about their safety, particularly as they are scheduled to be in England until early August.
But England captain Eoin Morgan said: “I’m confident that we will crack on (with the Champions Trophy and ODI series against South Africa).”
Netball’s Superleague is scheduled to hold its Final Four competition at the Manchester Arena, the scene of Monday’s attack, on June 10-11, but England Netball has temporarily suspended ticket sales.
Wimbledon’s organisers issued a short statement to say they were working closely with the Met and other relevant organisations to ensure this summer’s tournament is as safe as possible.
Across the Atlantic, a moment of silence was held before Tuesday night’s play-off games in the NBA and NHL, while God Save the Queen was played at Yankee Stadium in New York before a Major League Baseball fixture.
Bolton boxer Amir Khan, a former light-welterweight world champion and high-profile British Muslim, has condemned the attack.
He told Good Morning Britain: “This is giving all us Muslim people a bad name. I’m a Muslim, and I am now a little bit scared walking the streets myself with my little girl because anything can happen.”