Kondogbia agent closes the door on Marseille

Date published: Sunday 13th November 2016 11:32

Geoffrey Kondogbia: Liverpool target

Geoffrey Kondogbia: Liverpool target

Reported Liverpool target Geoffrey Kondogbia will not be heading to Marseille after his agent poured cold water on such talk.

The players representative, Jonathan Maarek, has told RMC Sport that there had been no contact with the Ligue 1 giants and even if there had it would not be a “priority”.

“We want to shed light on the alleged interest of Olympique Marseille for Geoffrey. There was absolutely no contact with the leaders of this club.

“To date Geoffrey is an Inter player and even if we were to think of a departure from Inter, we would not give priority to a project like OM,” said Maarek.

The 23-year-old defensive midfielder is out of favour with the Nerazzurri and Calciomercato claim even the arrival of new boss Stefano Pioli is unlikely to herald a new beginning for the player.

Former Inter boss Ronald de Boer was critical of the France international and said he “doesn’t listen and keeps making the same mistakes”.

The Dutch boss also hauled him off in a game against Bologna in September after just 28 minutes and he has made just five appearances all season.

The Italian press have linked Liverpool and Chelsea with January moves for the 23-year-old, who cost Inter £26million from Monaco in the summer of 2015 and this latest news could well encourage Jurgen Klopp to firm up his interest.

Kondogbia has not developed in his time in Serie A but Inter are still believed to be chasing their money back on the player, who is currently earning £80,000 a week.

That figure has become a stumbling block ahead of a potential move to Anfield.

Related Articles

Your Say