Leicester City confirm bid for Tottenham target

Date published: Friday 21st July 2017 10:16

Leicester have rejected a bid for Spurs target Riyad Mahrez, according to manager Craig Shakespeare.

The Algeria forward told the Foxes he wants to leave after an underwhelming follow-up season to their title-winning campaign in 2015/16.

He has not handed in an official transfer request, but said earlier in the summer it was “time to move on” and that he had a gentleman’s agreement with the club to do so.

The 26-year-old is currently in Hong Kong taking part in the Asia Trophy with City and, speaking to Sky Sports from the competition, Shakespeare said: “I think I was quoted on the last press day that there was no bids.

“There was a bid from Roma I was told afterwards, so I would like to put the record straight on that one.

“It was politely declined on the basis that it was a low offer. Of what that offer is, don’t ask me how much because I don’t know and I don’t get involved in that.”

Roma are on the lookout for a new forward after the departure of Mohamed Salah to Liverpool.

Meanwhile, Tottenham have asked to be kept informed of Mahrez’s position, according to the Evening Standard.

Mauricio Pochettino has identified the Algerian as a man he would like to add to his squad, but Daniel Levy will not meet Leicester’s £50million asking price.

The report claims Tottenham have made it clear they will not join the race to sign the player, who almost joined Arsenal last summer, unless the price dropped substantially.

Shakespeare has said he hoped to keep Mahrez, who scored for the Foxes in their Premier League Asia Trophy match with West Brom on Wednesday.

“We want him to stay,” Shakespeare told reporters. “I would like him to stay, as manager.

“As I say, he has stated his case clearly but, while he is here, I need that full commitment.”

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM

Comments