Jurgen Klopp has signed a new six-year contract after just nine months after arriving at Liverpool; here are some of best quotes.
Top Jurgen Klopp quotes:
On his appointment at Anfield.
- “I don’t want to describe myself. I’m a totally normal guy, I came from the Black Forest. I’m the Normal One.”
On his past quotes.
- “The problem with my life is that I’ve said too much s*** in the past and no-one forgets it.”
On the 2-1 home defeat to Crystal Palace.
- “I would really like to change my personality but I can’t forget this f***** loss against Crystal Palace.”
On the treatment of young players.
- “These young players are our future. If we handle them like horses then we get horses.”
On the challenges of competing with Bayern Munich (whilst at Dortmund)
- “We have a bow and arrow and if we aim well, we can hit the target. The problem is that Bayern has a bazooka. But then Robin Hood was quite successful.”
On Dortmund’s defeat to Bayern Munich in the 2013 Champions League final at Wembley.
- “The only thing I can say is that it was great. London is the town of the Olympic Games. The weather was good, everything is OK. Only the result is s***.”
On the crucial difference between himself and Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger.
- “He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. I like heavy metal.”
On signing Henrikh Mkhitaryan when he was at Borussia Dortmund.
- “Mkhitaryan fits us like an arse on a bucket. What he offers is exactly what we need.”
On a poor first-half performance.
- “I told my players during the break: Since we’re here anyway, we might actually play a bit of football.”
When asked by a Schalke fan the secret of winning the Bundesliga.
- “How do you explain to a blind person what colour is?”
On Bayern Munich’s philosophy.
- “At the moment, they are like the Chinese in the business world. They look at what others are doing and copy it, just with more money.”
On his wife.
- “She wrote a book for children. It’s like Harry Potter – but it’s about football. There’s no Harry Potter flying on his f***** stick – just football.”
On Mats Hummels being linked with a summer move to Manchester United in July 2014.
- “If that’s not a bulls*** story, I’ll eat a broomstick!”
On Hummels again. This time on the defender’s injury woes.
- “We will wait for him like a good wife waiting for her husband who is in jail.”
Klopp touching on the ‘problems’ facing modern footballers.
- “It doesn’t make it any easier to run your heart out when you’ve just woken up in a five-star hotel. Too much comfort makes you comfortable.
On talking to the British press.
- “You don’t understand? You should learn. There are some really good German explanations for some problems. But I don’t know how to say it in English.”
Klopp on how he remains discreet when out in public.
- “In extreme situations, you have to think fast. At one of my mates’ stag parties, we all dressed up as Father Christmas – fully masked.”
On losing Mario Gotze to Bayern.
- “Gotze has gone because he is Guardiola‘s personal chosen signing and he wants to play with Guardiola, in his style. I can’t make myself 15cm shorter or start speaking Spanish.”
On Shinji Kagawa’s role at Manchester United.
- “Shinji Kagawa is one of the best players in the world and he now plays 20 minutes at Manchester United – on the left wing. My heart breaks. Really, I have tears in my eyes. Central midfield is Shinji’s best role. He’s an offensive midfielder with one of the best noses for goal I ever saw.”