Legend warns Liverpool off signing ‘established world-class stars’

Date published: Wednesday 8th March 2017 7:58

John Barnes says Liverpool can forget about signing established world-class talent this summer, including the heavily-linked Marco Reus.

The former Liverpool favourite believes any top talent arriving in the Premier League will chose Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea ahead of Jurgen Klopp’s men.

He does though say he trusts Klopp to develop emerging players arriving at Anfield

“I’d love to see [Cristiano] Ronaldo, [Marco] Reus and Manuel Neuer, but that’s not happening,” Barnes, speaking on behalf of Bonus Code Bets, told IBTimes UK said before the 3-1 win over Arsenal.

“In terms of the best players in the world, if they are coming to England, they are going to go to Manchester City, they’re going to go to Chelsea, they’re going to go to Manchester United.

“They are going to go to these clubs before Liverpool. The advantage we have is that we trust Jurgen Klopp enough to make the decision to buy some players in Germany or wherever that he knows can do what he wants.

“If you are talking to me about the obvious players who I would like to see coming, there is no point mentioning them because they are not coming to Liverpool.

“We are unique in that. Unless it’s going to be a £40m or £50m signing that everybody knows is a world-class player, the Arsenal fans will be disappointed. The Chelsea fans will be disappointed. Liverpool fans trust Jurgen Klopp enough to know that he may sign a player we’ve never heard of, but we trust him enough to get the best out of that player.”

Klopp is expected to make several changes to his squad in the summer and he confirmed last month at Liverpool’s winter training camp in La Manga that plans were in place.

“We are in talks with different people – players, agents, all that stuff,” Klopp told the Liverpool Echo.

The German is believed to be looking for a new goalkeeper, left-back, central midfielder and forward and Borussia Dortmund star Reus has been heavily linked with a move to Anfield for 18 months.

The 27-year-old, who is currently sidelined with a thigh problem, could be allowed to move on this summer with two years remaining on his contract.

Dortmund have reportedly placed a £70million price tag on Reus’ head, but his lack of regular football over the last few years the Bundesliga club will likely have to settle for far less.

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM

Comments