Liverpool midfield target submits transfer request

Date published: Friday 4th August 2017 11:59

Reported Liverpool target Geoffrey Kondogbia is understood to have submitted a formal transfer request.

Liverpool have been linked with the 24-year-old Inter Milan midfielder, who made 20 starts in Serie A last season, and who is contracted in Milan until 2020.

France Football claimed in the winter that Chelsea and Liverpool have both made enquiries to sign Kondogbia before the Reds made their move for Naby Keita.

Now though with Liverpool’s hopes of landing RB Leipzig man Keita dead, Kondogbia may well be back on the radar.

According to La Gazzetta dello Sport, the French midfielder has handed in a transfer request at the Nerazzurri and Inter aim to sell him for a fee of around €30m to €35m.

That will be signicantly cheaper than a move for Keita after RB Leipzig rejected a second bid of €75million (£66m) for the player last week.

It lead Jurgen Klopp to joke that his next bid would be £300million, but since then the silence has been deafening.

The Guinea midfielder was the Reds’ No 1 target this summer, but the Bundesliga club have insisted all summer they had no desire to sell the player.

Leipzig owner Dietrich Mateschitz, speaking to German publication Sportbild, has warned Liverpool that Keita will see out his contract with the Bundesliga side.

“Recently, a €75million offer for Naby Keita came into the club,” he said.

“[We said] no way. He still has a contract, and he will fulfil it.

“To sell him would not only be a proof of mistrust for our fans, but also the wrong sign for our other players, such as Timo Werner, who are also in demand.

With that news Klopp, although suggesting earlier in the summer he did not have a list of alternative targets, may well now go back and revisit his interest in Kondogbia, who is also being targeted by Valencia.

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM

Comments