Liverpool owner John W Henry has taken to Twitter to mock reports that the club are on the brink of being sold to a Chinese consortium.
The American was responding to a tweet from talkSPORT presenter Ian Abrahams, who claimed a deal for the club would be wrapped up before Christmas.
But Henry, in a reply on Wednesday evening, nipped those suggestions in the bud pretty firmly.
He tweeted: “Good that your sources will be debunked so soon. Usually it takes a long time!”
— John W. Henry (@John_W_Henry) December 14, 2016
Fenway Sports Group have actively claimed they are not looking to sell the Reds, with chairman Tom Werner denying earlier this season that a multi-billion Chinese consortium were planning to buy the club.
“We’ve said it before and I’d like to say it again: this club is not for sale,” the American told the Liverpool Echo.
“I’d say that from time to time somebody says they have made an offer to us but they are really saying that just for publicity.
“People throw offers to us which we don’t think are real. We haven’t had a discussion or a negotiation with anyone because this club is not for sale.
“If someone wants to write us a letter saying they want to buy the club then it will get put in the garbage.”
These latest reports of a takeover are said to have bemused Liverpool’s owners, FSG, even more, so it was no surprise to see Henry take to Twitter so quickly.
The Reds owner can be quite cutting when it comes to social media and he memorably chopped down Arsenal’s £40,000,001 offer for Luis Suarez in 2013 by tweeting: “What do you think they’re smoking over there at Emirates?”